Won’t Lay in Nesting Box

TheChestnutChicks

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2022
Hi! I am having the hardest time getting my girls to lay in the boxes we built for them. I decided to do a tray under their roosting bar with Sweet PVC and that’s where they want to lay. Yuck! It’s hard to tell but the second pic shows where the nesting boxes are. I’m not sure what the issue is because they are off the ground but lower than the roosting bar. The bedding is fresh/clean. I’ve even been putting herbs in it.

Any other ideas?? Someone mentioned trying to move one of them into a nesting box at night. Not sure if that’s a good idea??

I’ve also been putting eggs, golf balls etc. in the boxes.

They just started laying so hoping I can get them on the right track
0124FB44-1EA2-472B-BF6A-FCA1F4442A42.jpeg

Attachments

• 675C2356-45A0-4DAB-A934-0F6216A7BDC4.jpeg
    675C2356-45A0-4DAB-A934-0F6216A7BDC4.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 12
I wouldn't recommend putting them in the NB at night.
Pictures of you nest boxes would help. Are the roost above the NB? How far off the ground are the nest boxes? Where is the roost vs nest boxes?

What makes you think they're laying in the poop board? It's possible being newbies as ^^^ say, their time clock is adjusting ... How many laying? All in the poop board?

Last edited:
I can see where the nesting boxes are but not much else about them. They are high enough off the floor that the chickens probably need a place to land before walking into them.

In the picture, it looks like the nests might be quite short. When they are, some chickens would squish in, some might not want to.

There are other things it might be.

Your poop board looks it might feel a little more sheltered than some with the sloped roof and all. There is nothing wrong with that but it might be tipping the balance toward a preferred nesting spot if there is something not inviting about the nest boxes.

Pictures and dimensions of the nests would help us help you.

Back
Top Bottom