Won't eat or Drink inside the coop

rogerf

Chirping
14 Years
Apr 27, 2009
I have a new flock of RIR (15 weeks old).
While in the temporary coop the food and water were inside and they ate and ate. Now that I have prepared the larger perm coop with water and food inside. Food in is a trough-like tray (actually a gutter screwed to the wall). It took a few days to realize that they were'nt eating or drinking as much. I put dishes of food and water in the run and they couldn't get it down fast enough.
Has anyone had this issue. I'm not fond of leaving the food and water outside due to pesky sparrows and possible preditors.
Any ideas...because come this winter they'll have no choice since the heated water dish will be inside.
Thanks

I've never known a chicken to refuse food for longer than a day or so (unless they were sick). It's really best to encourage them to eat outside so inside is only used for laying eggs and sleeping. As far as pests eating their food when you put it in the run...I'm not sure how much can be done on that. I have my feeders/waterers raised up onto cinder blocks, and some are hanging. I have chicken wire over my run, and this seems to discourage wild birds from entering. Good luck!

Quote:
What do you do in the winter.......(snow filled run.....frozen water..etc..)

You're asking for rats/mice in your hen house if you leave food in there. Also, I read that chickens expel half their droppings while roosting at night and my experience tends to confirm that. For sanitary purposes and pest prevention, I would only feed and water them outside in the run. There are a variety of heated waterers on the market for winter use.

In a northern climate is is not possible to feed and water only in the run. There are many days in winter when the weather is too savage to put the birds out. Well you could and have them wind-slammed and shredded through the hardware cloth. Sanitary conditions inside are a must. I suggest that something in there is scaring them. Take a thorough look, especially overhead and in any loft space where a snake, weasel or rat might come through. Be ruthless in your inspection. Meanwhile, get these birds fed and watered any way you can. Once they go light, especially in the heat, they can dehydrate rapidly, and that's a whole other ball of wax.

I've been feeding and watering them outside for the last week and they are doing fine.
I tried to tempt them inside with Gro-Cal mash which they love with no luck.
Feeding them outside isn't a big deal until we get a storm or worst come the winter. Hopefully they adapt.

The coop is clean, no pests or anything to scare them so that's not an issue.

Rest assured they are doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom