Won't Leave the Coop

Chimelle

In the Brooder
May 1, 2022
I had 3 chickens and I would open the front door to their coop everyday and let them out in the yard. Their coop also has an automatic door that opens into an enclosed run. About 3 weeks ago, one of my chickens disappeared from the yard. A few days later, we realized a bobcat had discovered them, along with a friend in the neighborhood who also has chickens. So rather than letting the remaining two go out in the yard, I am keeping them in the coop and run. However, they're not going out into the run hardly at all! They're sitting in the coop all day. I can coax them out, but they're not going out on their own. They used to be out in the run when I would go to open the door to let them in the yard. I sometimes put food scraps in the run after they've gone to bed, and the next day, the food is still there untouched. Not sure what to do. Also, being down to only 2 chickens (I started with 4 but one died over the summer), should I get one or two more from a lady who rehomes chickens, or should I wait for spring and get a chick or two?

Thanks in advance for the advice.. I'm very new to having chickens. They are about a year and a half old.

If it's cold, they may be happier inside, out of the wind. Chicken HATE change and new things, if they don't use the run very often, they may take their time to get used to it. They also might know there's a predator skulking about.
We’re in Arizona and the weather has been mostly 60’s to 70’s until a few days ago. Now we’re in the 40’s to 50’s. Maybe it is they’re aware of a predator. I’ll keep coaxing them out. They used to enjoy the run before, sometimes I didn’t open their front door until mid morning and they would be poking around in the run when I got out there. Thank you for your response!

We’re in Arizona and the weather has been mostly 60’s to 70’s until a few days ago. Now we’re in the 40’s to 50’s. Maybe it is they’re aware of a predator. I’ll keep coaxing them out. They used to enjoy the run before, sometimes I didn’t open their front door until mid morning and they would be poking around in the run when I got out there. Thank you for your response!
I'm in north central Az, It's a bit colder here. They likely are aware of the bobcat, they'll work their way out soon.

should I get one or two more from a lady who rehomes chickens, or should I wait for spring and get a chick or two?
This part is up to you. I'd recommend at least 2 new birds, as integrating 1 is more difficult. You will need to integrate regardless if they're adults, teens or babies (unless one of your hens goes broody and takes in the chicks as her own, she should then take care of that for you).

Keep in mind with adding new birds, there's a risk of diseases and parasites being passed around. It's recommended to do a biological quarantine if you bring in newcomers: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/ If you are bringing in recently hatched chicks from a reputable hatchery, the risk is far lower and many of us skip quarantine in that case.

Back
Top Bottom