Wood Ducks

I use tiny Baby red worms to get them to start eating as well as small mealworms and duckweed ! They need movement in the meal to get them started , I put the duck weed in a shallow pan of water with marbles in it or some smooth stone that is big enough that they don't try to eat the stone . Hope this helps . I don't pinion . To me it is a ritual to clip the wings of my natives and pinion the non indigenous species such as the mute swans and ring teal. What MGG told you is correct . I pinion the swans at 5 days old .That way it's not a big messy operation they don't even notice . Mandarin can be treated the same as wood ducks . There used to be an Ornamental water fowl tread on here but It seems to be dead . I can tell you this It becomes addicting to get more and more different species . Have fun . Nice to meet you and MGG I thought I was the only one that holds an interest in wild ducks . Good luck and many happy Wood ducks ! Hi you all !:frow:clap:yesss:
Awesome info!
Do you federally mark your birds in some other way? What all do you keep? It's great to meet you! "The Phantom" (user on here) and now you are the only people besides me that I know of, who are active here and keep wild fowl!
What all breeds do you keep? I only have 2 wood duck hens currently, but have kept many other species in the past and will be getting more species this spring! I am working on a 24x32 aviary right now.
Wild waterfowl are my passion, they are the most amazing animals to me.
They're like potato chips, can't just have one! 🤣

Go with as big of a pen as you can.You will fill it fast! I have added on 3 times and am adding on again in next month or 2.

Mandarins,white mandarins,ring,sharp wing,cinnamon,green wing,silver teals.Falicated,white face,fulvous,silver fulvous tree ducks,chiloe widgeon,burrows golden eye.

Mandarins,white mandarins,ring,sharp wing,cinnamon,green wing,silver teals.Falicated,white face,fulvous,silver fulvous tree ducks,chiloe widgeon,burrows golden eye.
That's aweome!
Ooh! You have Fulvous Whistling ducks? Where about do you live? I've been looking for some for ages. I was really wanting some good photos of Fulvous ducks for a project. Do you ever photograph yours?
You have quite a nice collection there!

Back
Top Bottom