Wood Ducks

CaliFarmsAR

Free Ranging
5 Years
Apr 26, 2019
Arkansas
Hello. I’m possibly going to have 10+ wood duck ducklings before I know it.... (our neighbor is setting me 10 wood duck eggs.) I just really want to be prepared for them and give the best life possible. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading and any replies.

Ps: this is a second thread I’m making because I want to see which one has the most reply’s.

Hello. I’m possibly going to have 10+ wood duck ducklings before I know it.... (our neighbor is setting me 10 wood duck eggs.) I just really want to be prepared for them and give the best life possible. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading and any replies.

Ps: this is a second thread I’m making because I want to see which one has the most reply’s.
Oh that's so cool! You'll love them! They are very different from domestic ducks. Don't free range them, they'll have to be in a covered pen at all times. How will they be pinioned? Does he have the necessary permits to sell them?
And do you have a pic of the pen that they will be in?

Oh that's so cool! You'll love them! They are very different from domestic ducks. Don't free range them, they'll have to be in a covered pen at all times. How will they be pinioned? Does he have the necessary permits to sell them?
And do you have a pic of the pen that they will be in?
I don’t have a picture of the pen thy will be in. It will be netted for sure.

I don’t have a picture of the pen thy will be in. It will be netted for sure.
Ok. I also highly recommend feeding Mazuri Waterfowl Starter for the first couple weeks at least. It really gets them off to a good start, and it floats. Woodies are very difficult to get to eat food as babies. I have struggled with it a lot. They're nothing like domestics.

Ok. I also highly recommend feeding Mazuri Waterfowl Starter for the first couple weeks at least. It really gets them off to a good start, and it floats. Woodies are very difficult to get to eat food as babies. I have struggled with it a lot. They're nothing like domestics.
How would I then get them to eat?

How would I then get them to eat?
Live mealworms are pretty important to start them off with. I feed Purina Fockraiser as a maintenance feed to my two adults right now. For the first few days, cut up live leaworms (so they still flop around a bit after being cut) and toss those for them. They'll learn that they're good, and chase after them. Then gradually start putting little piece of feed inside of the mealworms. Get them eating it that way. Then toss the cut mealworms in a small, shallow, dish of water. A jar lid works well for this. Start tossing both food and mealworms into the water for them to eat. They should eat them. Then, fill the lid with dry food, and cut mealworms. They should start eating both. Eventually, wean off the mealworms and just use the dry food. Pick at it with your fingers to encourage them, toss it in water, etc. I love the Mazuri for this, because the ducklings love dabbling in water, and, since it floats, readily take to it. The whole first week usually is just getting them to eat using the steps above. They will eventually figure it out.

If you use Mazuri food to start them instead of purina flockraiser (which can also work but is trickier to get them to eat) feed the Mazuri in water and dry for a while. They'll like it better in water, which is totally fine. Mine didn't start eating it dry until they were a month old. And even then, they much prefered it in water. I would fill a small rubber tub with warm water and a couple of handful of Mazuri daily, until I switched them to the Purina Flockraiser.

Live mealworms are pretty important to start them off with. I feed Purina Fockraiser as a maintenance feed to my two adults right now. For the first few days, cut up live leaworms (so they still flop around a bit after being cut) and toss those for them. They'll learn that they're good, and chase after them. Then gradually start putting little piece of feed inside of the mealworms. Get them eating it that way. Then toss the cut mealworms in a small, shallow, dish of water. A jar lid works well for this. Start tossing both food and mealworms into the water for them to eat. They should eat them. Then, fill the lid with dry food, and cut mealworms. They should start eating both. Eventually, wean off the mealworms and just use the dry food. Pick at it with your fingers to encourage them, toss it in water, etc. I love the Mazuri for this, because the ducklings love dabbling in water, and, since it floats, readily take to it. The whole first week usually is just getting them to eat using the steps above. They will eventually figure it out.
Ok.

I use tiny Baby red worms to get them to start eating as well as small mealworms and duckweed ! They need movement in the meal to get them started , I put the duck weed in a shallow pan of water with marbles in it or some smooth stone that is big enough that they don't try to eat the stone . Hope this helps . I don't pinion . To me it is a ritual to clip the wings of my natives and pinion the non indigenous species such as the mute swans and ring teal. What MGG told you is correct . I pinion the swans at 5 days old .That way it's not a big messy operation they don't even notice . Mandarin can be treated the same as wood ducks . There used to be an Ornamental water fowl tread on here but It seems to be dead . I can tell you this It becomes addicting to get more and more different species . Have fun . Nice to meet you and MGG I thought I was the only one that holds an interest in wild ducks . Good luck and many happy Wood ducks ! Hi you all !:frow:clap:yesss:

I use tiny Baby red worms to get them to start eating as well as small mealworms and duckweed ! They need movement in the meal to get them started , I put the duck weed in a shallow pan of water with marbles in it or some smooth stone that is big enough that they don't try to eat the stone . Hope this helps . I don't pinion . To me it is a ritual to clip the wings of my natives and pinion the non indigenous species such as the mute swans and ring teal. What MGG told you is correct . I pinion the swans at 5 days old .That way it's not a big messy operation they don't even notice . Mandarin can be treated the same as wood ducks . There used to be an Ornamental water fowl tread on here but It seems to be dead . I can tell you this It becomes addicting to get more and more different species . Have fun . Nice to meet you and MGG I thought I was the only one that holds an interest in wild ducks . Good luck and many happy Wood ducks ! Hi you all !:frow:clap:yesss:
Thank you!! I’m very excited to start wild ducks!!!

Back
Top Bottom