Wood or metal nesting boxes...

adw11

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2015
We just got chick's and I know it will be awhile before they start nesting but which nesting boxes are better would or the ones from milk crates? Also is it better to have a hinge door for easy access?

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

I think with the nesting boxes you'll find it's just a matter of what people prefer and what they have on hand. We actually have 2 wooden ones and 2 plastic ones. Our girls seem to change their minds every few days over which one they like the most...there will be a waiting line for the wooden ones for a few days and then the plastic ones are popular, lol.

You might post this question over on the Chicken Behaviors & Egglaying forum. It would be interesting to see what responses you get:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying

Good for you on planning ahead, hope you are enjoying your flock!

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Use what works best for you, though I would caution you about using milk crates as I have heard of hens getting a leg stuck in them.

Metal nest boxes can become very uncomfortable in hot weather. I think most folks have wood or plastic. Some use the covered cat (litter) boxes which gives hens, the privacy they like.

Back
Top Bottom