Wood shavings for the ducks

Me too works great!
I turn the hay and pile it up in the house and clean the gold that falls to the floor- then scrape the floor with a flat small shovel- then sweep again- all that goes on the gardens- then the end of the day spread it out nicely-
that last for 2 or 4 days then it a comes out and is replaced- ten that large amount of hay is put on gardens or piled up to compost!

A tree removal company in the neighborhood is offering free wood-chips in return of a dumping location (they don't know what to do with all the chipped wood), but i hesitated to take some because they can't tell me exactly what kind of wood would be in there.
I'm afraid of treated wood as well as cedar, both being very bad for the ducks and the compost.

A tree removal company in the neighborhood is offering free wood-chips in return of a dumping location (they don't know what to do with all the chipped wood), but i hesitated to take some because they can't tell me exactly what kind of wood would be in there.
I'm afraid of treated wood as well as cedar, both being very bad for the ducks and the compost.

What do you mean by "treated wood?" I mean, figure trees aren't likely to start with varnish on them. And while it would be a pain, figure you could potentially sort out the cedar by smell, right?

Talk to them again. Surely they'd keep records of what trees they took down and where. It seems like it'd be a way to save a lot on something you probably use a lot of for your flock.

Oh, found an article about wood shavings. Apparently even pine is a possible concern:

https://www.thesprucepets.com/cedar-and-pine-shavings-for-ferrets-1236842

What do you mean by "treated wood?" I mean, figure trees aren't likely to start with varnish on them. And while it would be a pain, figure you could potentially sort out the cedar by smell, right?

Talk to them again. Surely they'd keep records of what trees they took down and where. It seems like it'd be a way to save a lot on something you probably use a lot of for your flock.

Oh, found an article about wood shavings. Apparently even pine is a possible concern:

https://www.thesprucepets.com/cedar-and-pine-shavings-for-ferrets-1236842
I spoke with the owner (neighbor) and he told me that sometimes their customers ask them to also take their scrap wood. The employees are advised not to take it and throw that into the shredder, but who would reject a nice tip…
Records? - Is that something similar to teeth? :lau
This is West Virginia! Who needs records when you have moonshine! ;)

Back
Top Bottom