Woods Style Open Air Chicken Coops

The traditional place to put a broody box, at least in some designs, was above the roost bars and off to one side. But you have to run it all the way to the rafters to keep the other birds from roosting on top of the box. Some elevated and hung it from the rafters to allow the other birds to continue roosting below if roost space was tight.

If you did put it below the roosts, you would need to use a droppings board, or at least a barrier of some type to keep the droppings from the roost above from hitting the birds.

BTW, it was also traditional in some designs to place the nest boxes on the back wall beneath the roosts. In that setup, droppings boards were mandatory. That was the case in Woods 6' x 10' back lot house.

I measured my Woods house roosts, and they are 13 inches off the back wall and 14 inches between each other.

Don't have a Wood's coop but I personally have no desire to clean poop boards. I toss the pine shavings in pretty thick and just rake through it every morning. Clean it out once a year. Coop is 10x12 converted horse stall, 20 large fowl.

Don't have a Wood's coop but I personally have no desire to clean poop boards. I toss the pine shavings in pretty thick and just rake through it every morning. Clean it out once a year. Coop is 10x12 converted horse stall, 20 large fowl.

It seems like it is split opinions. You hear people that swear by them because it keeps the rest of the coop cleaner and others that think it’s easoer to not use them at all.

Will be great to see your build. I'm planning to build a Woods coop in the next couple of months. Do you use Sketchup? I've drawn the basic framing and sheeting for an 8x12.
I figured I would start with an 8x12, because of standard lumber sizes. And if I need more room in the future, I'll just build another one. 8x12 is also small enough to be moved easily.
I've also pondered the best way to incorporate a brooding area.

Have you built your coop yet? Just wondering if you figured out a brooding area?

Have you built your coop yet? Just wondering if you figured out a brooding area?

Yes, I finished it near the end of April, and immediately used the entire coop as a brooder. It has roost bars in the back and nest boxes opposite the door now. Looking at the space, something under the roost bars is probably the best area. I haven't settled on anything. Might just use the old smaller coop.

Yes, I finished it near the end of April, and immediately used the entire coop as a brooder. It has roost bars in the back and nest boxes opposite the door now. Looking at the space, something under the roost bars is probably the best area. I haven't settled on anything. Might just use the old smaller coop.

Yeah, I can’t decide!!! We are slowly getting there though. Do you have any pictures, I would love to see it.

Attachments

• 01B1EC26-3D46-455A-9ABD-B4A025432941.jpeg
    01B1EC26-3D46-455A-9ABD-B4A025432941.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
There a couple in this thread, post #35. Right after I finished the basic shell.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/8-x-12-woods-coop-design-plan.1221551/

I haven't taken any other pictures since then, it's been a busy summer. I actually need to finish the trim and give it a final coat of paint before winter. It's on the list to get done in the next few weekends.
The beginning of that thread are the basic plans I drew for an 8x12.
In the back under the roosts is really the only good place for a brooder.

If I ever build another one of these. Which I might in a year or two. I would make it 10x16 and divide it in two with a wire wall. Probably at 4', so one side would be 4' wide and the other 6'. Then you could separate birds, use as a brooder, or have it open as you choose.

Yeah, I can’t decide!!! We are slowly getting there though. Do you have any pictures, I would love to see it.
There a couple in this thread, post #35. Right after I finished the basic shell.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/8-x-12-woods-coop-design-plan.1221551/

I haven't taken any other pictures since then, it's been a busy summer. I actually need to finish the trim and give it a final coat of paint before winter. It's on the list to get done in the next few weekends.
The beginning of that thread are the basic plans I drew for an 8x12.
In the back under the roosts is really the only good place for a brooder.

If I ever build another one of these. Which I might in a year or two. I would make it 10x16 and divide it in two with a wire wall. Probably at 4', so one side would be 4' wide and the other 6'. Then you could separate birds, use as a brooder, or have it open as you choose.

Thanks! Ours is 10x16. When I measure 3 roosting bars from the back I think it may be too deep and a pain to clean under the pool board, since you would have to have one if the brooder is under the roost. I am thinking of putting them off to one side so there would be two broody boxes, one on top of the other. Or, just use a metal dog crate. I really want storage space too!!! Maybe I just want too many things on one coop.

Back
Top Bottom