woohoo most of my chicken coop supplies are comming free! does it sound like a good plan?

gypsyroseplus6

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 30, 2012
so I have a flock of 20 birds. a mix of arucana, isa browns and silkies. I am getting a free bob house that is 6ft W X 8ft X 7ft h. I am using Pallets and ply wood to add an extra 2 feet on each side. so it will be 8 x 10 x 7. I have free 2x3s and free chicken wire and the run will be 8ft wide x 40 ft long and 7 ft high. I am planning on adding chicken swings, and a ladder in there to keep them entertained. Then I am making a inclosed water and feed station outside of the coop so it does not add mosture in the coop. (We live in a hot during summer frezzing during winter area). I will have a roost area inside the coop, a brooder area, and about 6 next boxes. does this sound good?

edit. on one side of the coop (the area that gets the most wind) will be blocked by our barn so not a ton of wind will be comming through.

Last edited:
Sounds good! I wouldn't be too worried about feed and water in the coop as far as moisture is concerned. If it is a concern then making a closed water system with water nipples is always an option!

In the winter it is a big concern around here :( we had a few nights this winter of -40f (with the wind. CHill). Not good to have moisture in the coop when it gets very cold like that.
Sounds good! I wouldn't be too worried about feed and water in the coop as far as moisture is concerned. If it is a concern then making a closed water system with water nipples is always an option!

In the winter it is a big concern around here
sad.png
we had a few nights this winter of -40f (with the wind. CHill). Not good to have moisture in the coop when it gets very cold like that.

I get -40 with and 50mph winds, yes its cold but water doesn't evaporate at those temperatures.... it freezes. so how exactly is it going to bring the relative humidity up in the coop? one waterer in the coop is not a concern in my opinion, even at those temps. If you were running a humidifier, ya different story.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom