Worm farm

hommie

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2016
Hi! Does anybody have a worm farm? I started one about 3 weeks ago. It's awesome! A friend gave me some worm tea this past spring, my tomatoes were about 6 ft tall and you wouldn't believe the amount I got
1f345.png
1f345.png

I call my worms "my silent pets". Have been keeping them off and on for about 15 years. Have killed off 1 or 2 colonies due to neglect or freezing. This most recent batch were "wild caught" from my garden where I had stacked some cardboard. They don't always transplant well. One colony I started decided they didn't like living in captivity. The entire mass of them migrated out of their bucket in a single night. Thankfully, they were in the garage! I've heard it stated (I believe that Dan posted an article) that worms that are hatched in a particular type of bedding are more apt to stay in it instead of migrating off. I don't remember if I placed the worm laden cardboard in my bin with the successful harvest, but may have.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have been vermi-composting for a good 7 years now. No matter what I do, they always end up with fruit flies. So I keep them on my patio. I do enjoy letting the wormies crawl through my fingers.
smile.png

My previous flock (the whole reason I started) enjoyed eating the worms. But this flock seems uninterested.
hu.gif
With my flock consuming most of my scraps, I was thinking about skipping the red wigglers. But I can't even find anyone to give them to.
hmm.png

I also raise mealworms! The chickens LOVE those. They are easy as well if you have the time.
wink.png
Also so cool.

Do your chickens eat your reed wigglers?

They love the worms, but love mealworms better
1f602.png
. I used the mealworms to train them to go to the coop in the evening. They sure no when it's time to go in at night

Back
Top Bottom