Worms?

Chookman1

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2023
Hi All

I think our chickens have worms. A week ago we finished administering 2 x rounds of levamisole.

We are still finding worm type things in their stools. These things are are around 1mm in diameter and about 5mm long.

Does anyone know what type of worms they are by the picture?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 132
Welcome to BYC.
That's a tapeworm segment. The bird that excreted it has tapeworms and Levamisole wont treat tapeworms.
You're going to need a product containing Praziquantel to eliminate the tapeworms.
Some equine pastes contain praziquantel which will get rid of the tapeworms. Equimax or Zimecterin Gold will eliminate them.

Thank you! Are you aware of any information around the egg withholding guidelines when Praziquantel is used on chickens?

Has anyone had any luck with Flubenol against tapeworm?

Last edited:
Flubenol is a Benzimidazole. I've dealt with tapeworms many times. My experience with Benzimidazoles is that they will not treat poultry tapeworms.

Generally, there is a 14 day egg withdrawal period after using Praziquantel.
Just for your information, insects are the hosts for tapeworms.

Has anyone had any luck with Flubenol against tapeworm?
I use Flubenol 5%.

Normal dosage would be 0,6 g per kg feed for 7 consecutive days, no other but the medicated feed.

For tapeworms it is the double dosage:

1,2 g per kg feed for 7 consecutive days, no other but the medicated feed. Repeat after 10 days for 3 days.

Overdosing will not harm the birds, but during moult it may affect the new feathers' development.

Thanks for the comments.

We will try Flubenol first and report back for future reference. Their directions were vague on the pack so I contacted the manufacturer and the below is what they advise. Hopefully it helps someone in future.

______

Thank you for your email. I have run your query past our Technical Manager for Flubenol who provided me with the following:

Tapeworm dose rate is 1200g per 1000kg of feed, for smaller quantities 12g per 10kg of feed.

Recommend Flubenol for 7days in feed and then repeat 2wks later for another 7days in feed.

For 10kg of feed
If hand mixing into feed, premix the 12g into 2kg of feed add a little vegetable oil by spray bottle, to help wormer stick to feed, mix thoroughly. Then add the wormer blend into the balance of 8kg and mix thoroughly.

Flubenol is has proven efficacy against all life stages of the parasites.

Thanks for the comments.

We will try Flubenol first and report back for future reference. Their directions were vague on the pack so I contacted the manufacturer and the below is what they advise. Hopefully it helps someone in future.

______

Thank you for your email. I have run your query past our Technical Manager for Flubenol who provided me with the following:

Tapeworm dose rate is 1200g per 1000kg of feed, for smaller quantities 12g per 10kg of feed.

Recommend Flubenol for 7days in feed and then repeat 2wks later for another 7days in feed.

For 10kg of feed
If hand mixing into feed, premix the 12g into 2kg of feed add a little vegetable oil by spray bottle, to help wormer stick to feed, mix thoroughly. Then add the wormer blend into the balance of 8kg and mix thoroughly.

Flubenol is has proven efficacy against all life stages of the parasites.
Well, that is exactly the dosage I gave you earlier, only for much bigger quantities of feed. :highfive:

Yeah for sure, I should have clarified that the interesting bit was the mixing instructions they gave. Without the oil I was thinking that there was a chance for segregation which may result in inaccurate dosage.

Yeah for sure, I should have clarified that the interesting bit was the mixing instructions they gave. Without the oil I was thinking that there was a chance for segregation which may result in inaccurate dosage.
True, I should have explained in more detail. :oops:

Here is how I do it:

To have a more even distribution of the rather small amount of Flubenole, I add a tablespoon of flour and another tablespoon of brewers's yeast mixing it all thoroughly together.

For deworming I use a mix of wheat, millet, barley and field peas adding germ oil and mixing well to get everything coated.

Then I add small amounts of the premix while stirring the whole time until all the premix is sticking nicely to the cereal.

For people with just a few chickens it will be easier to calculate the needed amount and prepare all at once.

There are also medicated pellets available
Marriages Layers Pellets With Flubenvet Poultry Wormer 5Kg https://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/s...ellets-with-flubenvet-poultry-wormer-5kg.html

Hi All, just taught I'd add this for future reference incase it helps someone.

We did the Flubenol as per manufactures instructions above and it worked well. Chooks are healthy. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom