Worm identification and treatment

butterfliesdoku

Songster
Mar 11, 2015
So one of the girls in my flock has worms and I am now treating the whole flock. I think they look like tapeworms as they look similar to when one of my dogs had tapeworms last summer. I treated the flock with wazine for 24 hours in their drinking water and they will need their next dose in 8 days. Will wazine solve my problem? What if in 8 days I use ivermectin instead of wazine?

That looks like tape worms, but wazine only treats roundworms. Tapes are treated with Zimectrin Gold or praziquantel horse wormer pastes. There are numerous threads about tapeworm treatment by doing a search at the top of this page.

That looks like tape worms, but wazine only treats roundworms. Tapes are treated with Zimectrin Gold or praziquantel horse wormer pastes.  There are numerous threads about tapeworm treatment by doing a search at the top of this page.

Oh darn. Thanks!

Valbazen liquid goat wormer given orally also works, but you have to re-dose your entire flock in five days to get the tapes (and any other worm a chicken can get).

MrsB

Valbazen liquid goat wormer given orally also works, but you have to re-dose your entire flock in five days to get the tapes (and any other worm a chicken can get).

MrsB

Can I use this instead of the second dose of Wazine or should I do dose #2 of wazine and then do the Valbazen?

Never mind just did a search for Valbazen. I think I'll go that route. Thank you both for your time and help.

I'm sure you've found it already, but here's the dosage:

.5ml/cc for adult, standard chickens or .25ml/cc for bantams and pullets/cockerels.

Give orally undiluted via syringe. Repeat in five days for tapes. :)

MrsB

If you find you still need to treat for tapeworms, you could try EquiMAX horse paste. Dose would be is 0.16 ml per five pounds.

You could also use Zimectrin Gold, but you would have to use twice as much.

-Kathy

I treated with Wazine then 10 days later I treated with Zimectrin Gold. Would I have to dose again with the Zimectrin?

Back
Top Bottom