worm question

crazy hen quartet

Songster
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Chandler AZ
I just moved the water dish in the girl's pen and noticed a squiggling mass of little white worms. I change the water daily so they weren't there yesterday. The ground under the dish was muddy. Here are my questions:

Is it possible these are internal parasites that came out in poo or eggs in poo that hatched? Or are they from flies laying eggs? Do I need to worm my girls (and if so, with what?) or just clean the coop and let it be?

All the girls are healthy, no feathers missing, no sick behavior, eating fine. They are only in the coop at night (unless they come in and lay an egg), they free range during the day. I walked around and inspected various poo for worms and found none. Their water has cider added in and I occasionally throw pumpkins out for them to munch, I think I remember hearing they are a natural de-wormer.

Any advice..

yuckyuck.gif
im at work please dont say things like that to make me laugh out loud they get to wondering what im doing ha ha ha:plbb

Magots are one thing, but I wouldn't let them eat them if you don't recognize them. Earth worms look totally different then internal worms. Best to clean them up, keep an eye on the girls and if more worms start to show up, then you may have to worm them. If they are in the dirt or in the poop, you will start to see them around. You may want to put some D.E. down or some of that stall dry stuff. To dry up that area. The D.E. will kill the worms as long as they touch it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom