Worming chickens

How does Valbazen work? Is it administered into the chicken ( would prefer not to jab all 40 of them) or in their water? If it is by needle, is it important where to apply? We've had chickens for 8 years now and this is the worst we have had round worms. I have tried DE and they won't go away. I am afraid my dog will get the worms soon if not already. TIA

How does Valbazen work? Is it administered into the chicken ( would prefer not to jab all 40 of them) or in their water? If it is by needle, is it important where to apply? We've had chickens for 8 years now and this is the worst we have had round worms. I have tried DE and they won't go away. I am afraid my dog will get the worms soon if not already. TIA
Please read post #2 & #4 in this link. Your questions will be answered and more:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worms-in-chicken-poop.1575508/#post-26765905

We used dewormer (Marek safeguard goat dewormer) and dosed each chicken on day 1 then again on day 8. Here we are, moving worms still in their poop and today would have been day 19 from first dose. I know all chickens were dosed as we gave each dose orally to each and every chicken. They appear to be round worms. Now what? 😥 we also cleaned their coop before administering and they are free range.

We used dewormer (Marek safeguard goat dewormer) and dosed each chicken on day 1 then again on day 8. Here we are, moving worms still in their poop and today would have been day 19 from first dose. I know all chickens were dosed as we gave each dose orally to each and every chicken. They appear to be round worms. Now what? 😥 we also cleaned their coop before administering and they are free range.
What dose of Safeguard Goat Dewormer did you use?

Can you please post photos of the poop/worms?

We
What dose of Safeguard Goat Dewormer did you use?

Can you please post photos of the poop/worms?
Gave a little over a ml and there are little white moving spots in pooh. Actually I think they may be tape worms.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240105_174411_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240105_174411_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240106_094441_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240106_094441_Chrome.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 8
We

Gave a little over a ml and there are little white moving spots in pooh. Actually I think they may be tape worms.
That's Tapeworm Proglottids in the photo.

You want to treat with Praziquantel instead of Fenbendazole (Safeguard).

You can find Equimax horse paste at TSC. Dose for Equimax is 0.033ml per pound of weight given once, then repeated in 14 days.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

As for the Goat dewormer (Safeguard), 1ml may have been the correct dose depending on the weight of the hen. Dosing for Safeguard is 0.23ml per pound of weight.

That's Tapeworm Proglottids in the photo.

You want to treat with Praziquantel instead of Fenbendazole (Safeguard).

You can find Equimax horse paste at TSC. Dose for Equimax is 0.033ml per pound of weight given once, then repeated in 14 days.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

As for the Goat dewormer (Safeguard), 1ml may have been the correct dose depending on the weight of the hen. Dosing for Safeguard is 0.23ml per pound of weight.
Well darn it. I guess back to treating with something different. Is there withdrawl with the paste?

Unfortunately, Verm x is completely ineffective against parasites, it's not a real wormer.
Verm-x basically changes the environment in the bowel to make it a poor environment for worms to live in. Thus any worms present are sickly and weak. I used to use it for my dogs as the worming process used to strip the internal bowel to remove gripping worms. This in turn made the bowl susceptible to other issues in male unneutered dogs especially.

Back
Top Bottom