Huge worm in poop!

Melissa C

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2022
Hi all,

I just found a huge worm in my chicken's poop :-(. I've been noticing that her poo has been kinda runny, foamy and a little yellow. And I just now watched her poo out this huge worm! I'm thinking it's roundworm? One of my sweet hens just died yesterday - she also had diarrhea but I thought it was coccidia and now I'm thinking perhaps I was wrong and she had worms too. (I never saw worms in her poo.) I'm currently treating the whole flock w/ Corid because I thought it was coccidia but now I realize I need to do a de-wormer. Can I do a de-wormer and Corid at the same time?? That seems like too much. Is there a natural/more gentle de-wormer to use in the meantime until I can switch to a de-wormer? And can anyone identify what this ghastly worm is??
worm.jpeg

Thank you! I actually came across that post yesterday in my research. One question: where did you find the dosage? .25mL/lb kinda seems like a lot to me. That means my 6 lb bird needs 1.5 mL of Safeguard? Yikes. I made a note on my Safeguard from previous treatments and I gave them each 0.6 mL but maybe that wasn't enough. There is so much conflicting info out there about this drug and I want to make sure I give them the right dosage. There's also tons of conflicting info about egg withdrawal. Some ppl say throw eggs out from the first day of tx until 14 days after...which seems crazy to me because that means a month w/o eggs. But then some ppl say no problem to eat them. Which is it??!

You have received correct info from Dawg53, the dosage is 0.23 or rounded off to 0.25 ml per pound of weight of SafeGuard for 5 straight days. He is one of the better experts on worming. There can be a small amount of the medication in the egg after worming, so you can discard eggs for 14 days after, or skip it if you are not concerned. Some info on BYC may be outdated if you read threads from years ago, but the info here is up to date.

Thank you! I actually came across that post yesterday in my research. One question: where did you find the dosage? .25mL/lb kinda seems like a lot to me. That means my 6 lb bird needs 1.5 mL of Safeguard? Yikes. I made a note on my Safeguard from previous treatments and I gave them each 0.6 mL but maybe that wasn't enough. There is so much conflicting info out there about this drug and I want to make sure I give them the right dosage. There's also tons of conflicting info about egg withdrawal. Some ppl say throw eggs out from the first day of tx until 14 days after...which seems crazy to me because that means a month w/o eggs. But then some ppl say no problem to eat them. Which is it??!
.06 is not correct.
.23ml per pound rounded to .25 is correct.

Eating the eggs is a personal choice.
You do what you feel comfortable doing.

Back
Top Bottom