worming coturnix quail

zayn

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 4, 2015
uk
when the weather is nice i sometimes take my quail onto the bare mud/dirt/grass area i have in my garden. they roll and dig and flap their wings in the mud. do they need to be wormed? i dont see any external parasites dunno bout internal but ihave sprayed them with johnsons anti mite extra just in case. but because they sometimes roll in mud do they need to be wormed or something? and what are the sytmptoms of internal bugs. thanks in advance

If your birds have access to dirt on a regular basis, you might worm them once a year. The most common worm is the round worm which is in all dirt. These worms live in the intestinal tract and will live off the food your birds consume. So one symptom is very thin birds. You can tell a bird is thin by feeling that breast bone. There should be meat around it and not all sunken in. Another good symptom is diarrhea. Diarrhea is common in a bird with worms. Another symptom is seeing a bird consume huge amounts of food and still be thin. Eventually however the bird gets weaker and sicker. The worms impact the intestines completely, the crop doesn't empty and of course the birds starves to death.

My birds have contact with the ground as well so I worm them once a year. Being in the UK you might use Flubenvet Poultry Wormer. It kills all worms, their eggs and tape worms as well. Here is a link I dug up for you for an example....http://www.viovet.co.uk/Flubenvet_W...oa_network=g&gclid=CLHqjL3J8cMCFQozaQodD7YAuw

If your birds have access to dirt on a regular basis, you might worm them once a year. The most common worm is the round worm which is in all dirt. These worms live in the intestinal tract and will live off the food your birds consume. So one symptom is very thin birds. You can tell a bird is thin by feeling that breast bone. There should be meat around it and not all sunken in. Another good symptom is diarrhea. Diarrhea is common in a bird with worms. Another symptom is seeing a bird consume huge amounts of food and still be thin. Eventually however the bird gets weaker and sicker. The worms impact the intestines completely, the crop doesn't empty and of course the birds starves to death.

My birds have contact with the ground as well so I worm them once a year. Being in the UK you might use Flubenvet Poultry Wormer. It kills all worms, their eggs and tape worms as well. Here is a link I dug up for you for an example....http://www.viovet.co.uk/Flubenvet_W...oa_network=g&gclid=CLHqjL3J8cMCFQozaQodD7YAuw
twocrows thank you very much for your timeand effort. i am going to worm all my quails as i think one might have worms as she eats quite a lot so i will probably go for the Flubenvet wormer and worm all my quails for the year. once again thanks ;)

Back
Top Bottom