Worming during molt- is it safe?

Anna-MN

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
So some of the girls have worms. I don't want this to become a bigger problem and I have the medication to worm them now but........they are molting. Some of the older girls just got done molting, a few others are just starting and the rest are right in the middle of it. Would it be too stressful on them to worm them during molt? I want to get all of them done at once. I was thinking it would be a good time to worm them since they aren't laying many eggs now anyways and I won't have to throw as many out.

It’s a good plan but I have one caution. Don’t use fenbendazole, commonly sold as Safeguard. It can cause the feathers to grow back curly. They could look really weird.

Some people might think that was cool or whatever, but just be aware the feathers can grow back funny. You might freak out if you didn’t know what was going on.

I prefer to worm when a chicken is molting because they usually are not laying anyhow. A lot of people seem to do this. As long as they are in good condition, the only real thing to watch related to molt is that you probably don't want to use fenbendazole since it can cause the new feathers to be deformed.

Last edited:
I normally dont recommend worming during molt due to the stress of molt itself on chickens. However since worms are present, valbazen will take care of them without worry of retarded feather regrowth.

I use Safeguard all the time-even during molt. Never had a curly feather so I'm going on a quest to figure this out.

I also use a topical liquid called Revolution-this product is not designed for chickens-and can be only purchased from veterinarians. This product is still in the experimental stages and since it requires handling of the birds, some folks don't want to use it. And witholding time has not been determined.

I use Safeguard all the time-even during molt. Never had a curly feather so I'm going on a quest to figure this out.

I also use a topical liquid called Revolution-this product is not designed for chickens-and can be only purchased from veterinarians. This product is still in the experimental stages and since it requires handling of the birds, some folks don't want to use it. And witholding time has not been determined.
Is that the same Revolution used on Dogs and Cats for fleas?
What dosage did you use on the chickens?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help! I have a big bottle of Valbazen. Now just to be sure this is the proper dosage instructions for standard size birds- Administer it to each chicken using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 1/2cc given orally undiluted to each chicken. Repeat dosing them again in 10 days. There's a 24 day withdrawal period from start to finish.

Is that the same Revolution used on Dogs and Cats for fleas?
What dosage did you use on the chickens?
Yes, it is. This product is still being researched, but so far it appears 1 drop per pound is the current dosage. BE WARNED: a heavily infested bird my go into shock and collapse when using this product.

Is this correct for Valbazen? I want to worm my birds tonight.

Administer it to each chicken using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 1/2cc given orally undiluted to each chicken. Repeat dosing them again in 10 days. There's a 24 day withdrawal period from start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom