Worming Help!

MeatyCluckers

Chirping
May 22, 2022
I noticed some frothy poos from a couple of our hens (flock of 9), so brought a fecal in to the vet. They just called and there was evidence of tape, cappilaria, and ascarid. He recommended Safeguard/Panacur, but I'm seeing dosing recommendations all over the place. 9 chickens, mostly sturdy heritage breeds with 2 smaller full size ones (one slight EE and one leghorn). What would you recommend?

Are you in the U.S. or another country?

Tapeworms really need to be treated with Praziquantel. Equimax horse paste can be used. Dosing and product info is in THIS LINK.

Fenbendazole (Safeguard/Panacur) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row.

I'm in the US. I have praziquantel tablets (branded for cats, 23 mg tablets), and the Safeguard 10% paste. Would I be able to use those in conjunction with each other, or use one, then wait a week or so and do the other? The tablets I have because I'm affiliated with cat rescue, so if I need to get Equimax instead I can, but if I can use what I've got even better.

I'm in the US. I have praziquantel tablets (branded for cats, 23 mg tablets), and the Safeguard 10% paste. Would I be able to use those in conjunction with each other, or use one, then wait a week or so and do the other? The tablets I have because I'm affiliated with cat rescue, so if I need to get Equimax instead I can, but if I can use what I've got even better.
Praziquantel is the best drug to treat tapeworms in poultry. Dose is 10 mg/kg (4.54 mg per pound) once repeat in 10-14 days.
According to the thread I linked previously, the dosing for Praziquantel is 10mg/kg. Do your research and if that seems to be correct, I don't see why you can't figure the dose and use the Praziquantel you have on hand.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

@dawg53 @Eggcessive
I'm not sure if I'd give the Fenbendazole and Praziquantel at the same time. I'd treat with one, then wait and do the other.
Personally, I think I'd treat with the Fenbendazole first since they found evidence of Capillary worms.

But let's see what Dawg and Eggcessive think, or they may have better suggestions.

Thanks, all! I've never spotted visible signs of worms at all, other than the occasional "off" poo (but never visible worms), and all hens have been acting totally fine so I was surprised there was that much of a parasite load! I was expecting if anything was going to be positive from the sample, it would be coccidia or giardia, just because it's been such an incredibly rainy/wet year, so a multiple worm situation instead caught me off guard!

Back
Top Bottom