Worming in Chickens

When you say you wormed them.Did you repeat the worming 10 days later also?
In N.H.,Tony.
I’ve wormed my chickens twice with Invermectin Liquid on the back of each’s neck after finding multiple roundworms droppings with my flock with last doses over a week ago. I was feeling confident I’d had these little buggers gone but this morning I found droppings under the roosting boards with worms. We’ve had unseasonably warm temps and I utilized this time to clean the coop and scoop out a lot of the run debris as well.

I’ve seen a huge improvement in my flock’s vigor over the last three weeks since the original and re-application so I can tell it’s done some good but obviously not enough.

I’m looking for the next step from the experts. I don’t know exactly which one I’m seeing the expulsion from but I know it doesn’t matter because I need to treat the whole flock.

Thank you all for your direction.

I’ve wormed my chickens twice with Invermectin Liquid on the back of each’s neck after finding multiple roundworms droppings with my flock with last doses over a week ago. I was feeling confident I’d had these little buggers gone but this morning I found droppings under the roosting boards with worms. We’ve had unseasonably warm temps and I utilized this time to clean the coop and scoop out a lot of the run debris as well.

I’ve seen a huge improvement in my flock’s vigor over the last three weeks since the original and re-application so I can tell it’s done some good but obviously not enough.

I’m looking for the next step from the experts. I don’t know exactly which one I’m seeing the expulsion from but I know it doesn’t matter because I need to treat the whole flock.

Thank you all for your direction.
Hi - I recently went through a similar situation with my birds, although I didn't see worms. They had been acting sluggish, not laying, and their combs were looking dull so we decided to do a deworming. I posted something similar to you and got some good answers here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/looking-for-advice-about-ivermectin-etc.1283127/

Someone recommenced using fenbendazole (Safeguard) or albendazole (Valbazen) because some parasites have become resistant to Invermectin. Ultimately we ended up using Safeguard in their water, and just finished the withdrawal period for the eggs. So fingers crossed it will help! But I got some good answers on my post so it might be worth a look. Good luck, keep us posted how it goes.

Weigh the bird, and put the proper amount in a dosage syringe. I like the ones from Wal-Mart, and the pharmacy will give you one free. This is what the inside of a chicken's mouth looks like. The opening in the center of the throat area is an air passageway. DON'T get the medication in there.

5545913.jpg

Facing you, the left side of the chicken's mouth is where you want to put the tip of the dosage syringe. Hold the chicken's head up some, put the tip of the syringe on the chicken's left side facing you. I don't work with the chicken facing me, but that tells you the correct side. Push the plunger a little, then let the chicken put it's head down to swallow. Repeat until all the medication is dispensed. Go slow, and steady. It won't be long until you get good at it. This picture is showing a much smaller syringe, so they can get it deeper into the chicken's mouth. I use one that's larger, but am careful to place, and aim the tip towards the left cheek, so the liquid does not get into the respiratory opening. Again, small squirts at a time.
5533562.jpg

Back
Top Bottom