Worming with Safeguard Goat Wormer

The dog wormer has three packs that have 222 mg fenbendazole granules, so 222 mg x 3 = 666 mg - How much was that? $11? That $11 box = 6.66 ml of the liquid goat or cow liquid.

I totally agree with you and if wazine17 is used
why does the company say not to give to laying hens?
Also wazine17 type of wormer was given to humans in foreign countries?

Now the USA is warning against using it to worm laying hens???
I am just trying help people find the best chick wormer
I RESPCT YOUR INFORMATION AND KOWLEDGE AS I AM SURE YOU ARE RIGHT.
THANKS for letting me know about panacure wormer
Glenda Heywood
The only "approved" wormer for laying hens in the US is hygromycin B, but it's now prescription only. Even Valbazen (albendazole), Safeguard or Panacur (fenbendazole) are not approved for use in laying hens here in the US. Not "apporoved" doesn't mean that they cannot be used, it just means one needs to follow proper withdrawal times.

Last edited:
Quote:
Fenbendazole is approved as an oral suspension for laying hens in the United Kingdom for treatment of gastro-intestinal nematodes at a dose of 1mg/kg/bw for 5 days and has a zero day egg and six day meat withdrawal. In the US, since there is no tolerance, this withdrawal needs to be extended.
Source: http://www.usfarad.org/drug-wdi-faqs.html

Casportpony said
The dog wormer has three packs that have 222 mg fenbendazole granules,
so 222 mg x 3 = 666 mg - How much was that? $11?
That $11 box = 6.66 ml of the liquid goat or cow liquid

fenbendazole granules, how do you worm chickens with it?
I thought it said tablets? my mistake
I will appreciate your answer thanks
Glenda Heywood
It would be very difficult to use the correct does of granules, and it would be very expensive. If you want to save money, just buy the 125 ml Safeguard for Goats, but if you have a large flock, get the 1 liter Safeguard for Cattle.

I also like to say that it would be best to gather up a bunch of fresh poop, have a vet do a fecal float. That will tell you know if you need to worm, what worms you have, and what wormer to use.

Casportpony said
The only "approved" wormer for laying hens in the US is hygromycin B,
but it's now prescription only. Even Valbazen (albendazole), Safeguard
or Panacur (fenbendazole) are not approved for use in laying hens here in the US.

thanks for this information
I am sure every one is learning
I need this information as my daughter who cares and keeps our 10 hens cared for
Is going to worm our hens so thanks
I have never used the safeguard or valbazen
It was told to me on another web chicken site
thanks so much
Glenda Heywood
If you're going to buy a wormer, Valbazen (albendazole) is probably your best option, and a friend of mine has verified through before and after fecal flotations that Valbezen at 7.5 ml per gallon for one day will treat large roundworms and cecal worms. Not sure about capillary worms, but maybe it will treat those as well. Repeat in 10 days.

The problem with Safeguard (fenbendazole) is that it must be given several days in a row (five days) to treat capillary worms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom