Worming

Huston's Happy Hens

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 14, 2008
Dewitt, MI
I have one hen who has had large "mashy" stools for well over a week now - She's acting just fine, but I've separated her from the flock. I'm going to give her yogurt, some baby vitamins and see if that makes any difference. I have never wormed our girls and am considering doing that.....but see in using Wazine that you have to discard eggs for 14 days....are there other options? Suggestions on both counts appreciated.

Last edited:
Large mashy stools are nothing to worry about. Just about every one of my hens (& my roo, too) have them as their first stool in the morning.

If you're concerned about parasites I would collect a "suspicious" looking stool sample and take it to the vet. Ask them to do a fecal float which is usually around $10. I only de-worm if I get a positive result back from the vet. I take a sample in twice per year. But we also live in an area where parasites are almost never a problem. I just take along a sample when one of the dogs goes in for a check up. Also, if you find that any animal on your property has parasites you should de-worm everyone at the same time or they will continue spreading them back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom