worming

AS a NEWBIE... firs time chicken owner.. when would you know they are going into their molt? I have a Parrot so I know to expect 2 molts a yr spring, fall usually. Is it the same with Chickens.?
I would try to avoid deworming birds during moult if possible. Moulting is stressful to birds and it is more important to make sure they are getting enough vitamins, minerals, and amino acids since much of their energy stores can be depleted. Spring and Late Fall is when I usually witness moult.

Last edited:
If you decide to try to deworm with pumpkin seeds it would be a very wise idea to do regular fecal checks so you stay on top of any infestations that do occur. Many people have tried things like pumpkin seeds, ACV and DE etc. only to have their birds still get worms. Also, not all worms live in the digestive tract and therefore don't shed eggs that can be picked up in a fecal test.

Definitely easier to worm them at night. I prefer to catch them one at a time when letting them out of their house early in the morning. First one that walks out on the ramp, I snatch her up and she gets dosed and released...then the next one etc...

This may not be a very satisfactory answer, but some people worm regularly and some not at all, so there may not be one answer. Mine are 4 years old, in great health, and I've never wormed them. But, I'm sure you will get some more precise answers.

Oh, and I guess one questions might be if you have evidence of a worm infestation, because if you do, HOW you worm may be different.

Good luck
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom