Worms and Worming - Warning, Graphic Pictures and Videos

This is the oxfendazole we can get here in the US:

This one is 22.5% (225 mg/ml)

This one is 9.06% (90.6 mg/ml)

-Kathy

Last edited:
@casportpony I need help identifying some type of parasite. I've processed several cockerels this spring, and all of them have had what appears to be a clear worm with a tiny black head that comes out of the follicles after plucking the primary feathers. They tend to mostly be on the under-side of the forearm, in the trailing edge where the skin is real flappy. I've seen quite a few of them, and they're usually about 1/2" long, but today I found one that was a bit different.

Clear one:

The not so clear one that I found today:

That is not a worm, that came out of the base of the feather.

That's what I thought...feather follicle. Freaked me out first time I saw them.....kinda gross, unless you like to pop pimples...hahaha!
That's good news! I knew if it was some type of worm, the scalding should have killed it, and baking it in the oven (as I type) would definitely kill any parasite. I just didn't relish the thought of eating worms... cooked or not! Thanks for the replies enola and aart!!!

Re ivermectin- here's what my vet told me:

"Plumb's Veterinary Formulary has a dose for ivermectin in birds.
-get the bovine preparation(10mg/ml or 1%)
-dilute it 1 part ivermectin to 4 parts propylene glycol to make a 2mg/ml solution.
-the dose is 0.2 mg/kg orally (weigh each chicken in lbs, divide by 2.2 to get kg).
-repeat 2 weeks later.

According to information I found on VIN (the veterinary information network) no eggs from treated chickens should be consumed for 8 weeks."

So, that's what's in my immediate future.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom