Worms and Worming - Warning, Graphic Pictures and Videos

That dose *might* treat large roundworms, but I don't think it will treat cecal, gape or capillary

From Plumb's

-Kathy

Where's your data for that? Ivermectin works fine here in Michigan. I don't dilute it out; just a complicating step. It is best to worm based on data from fecal samples run on your flock. There isn't an official egg withdrawal time, because it's not approved for use here. Only piprazine and hygromycin B are approved for use. Mary

Where's your data for that? Ivermectin works fine here in Michigan. I don't dilute it out; just a complicating step. It is best to worm based on data from fecal samples run on your flock. There isn't an official egg withdrawal time, because it's not approved for use here. Only piprazine and hygromycin B are approved for use. Mary
Is piperazine is approved for egg layer? I know hygromycin B is, but thought piperazine way approve for meat birds.

Many peafowl people have been using in amounts in excess of 0.4 mg/kg and still have positive fecals. Sadly, many people have lost their birds because they relied on ivermectin.
sad.png
Very few people will have fecals done, you're lucky in that you can do your own any day of the week.
wink.png

Two studies for everyone to read:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9269125

Anthelmintic efficacy of ivermectin against Syngamus trachea and Capillaria spp. in pheasant.

Lamka J1, Svobodová V, Slézková J.
Author information

Abstract

Ivermectin (IVM) was perorally administered in dosage schemes 1 x 0.8 mg/kg of body weight (b.w.), 1 x 1.6 mg/kg h.w., 3 x 0.8 mg/kg b.w., and 3 x 1.6 mg/kg b.w. to pheasants infected by Syngamus trachea and Capillaria spp. The samples of faeces were coprologically examined. The clinical state of pheasant was controlled. In all of the used therapeutical schemes the helminthostatic or partially helminthocide effect against adults of worms was reached. The clinical signs of helmithoses were reduced only. IVM in tested doses is not possible to recommend as an effective drug of pheasant syngamosis and capillariosis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

-Kathy

@KsKingBee , can you do us a favor? Next time you find parasite eggs in one of your birds, can you try treating it with ivermectin? I'm curious...

-Kathy

I just looked at the FARAD site, and piprazine is no longer listed for poultry. It's not very useful anyway, but it's now gone. Hygromycin B was still on the list, but that was the ONLY wormer mentioned. There are issues beyond lack of approval for the bendazole wormers, so I avoid them for my flock. I will report back about the Ivermectin. Just used it for a nasty mite infestation. UGH! As I said before, it would be nice to have safe approved effective products!! Mary

I just looked at the FARAD site, and piprazine is no longer listed for poultry.  It's not very useful anyway, but it's now gone.  Hygromycin B was still on the list, but that was the ONLY wormer mentioned.  There are issues beyond lack of approval for the bendazole wormers, so I avoid them for my flock.  I will report back about the Ivermectin.  Just used it for a nasty mite infestation.  UGH!  As I said before,  it would be nice to have safe approved effective products!!  Mary

Those of us with peafowl and turkeys are especially intererested in treating cecal worms and capillary worms.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom