Worms ! Help :(

weekakki

Hatching
5 Years
May 16, 2014
Hi I am new to chickens and now had my small (and increasing) flock for about 4 months .

Last week a dog got in and chased my 3 Wyandotte bantams , they all escaped but Steve I think got a bit of shock. I have tried to keep them quiet and settled and they seemed to be ok although not laying until a few days ago when I noticed Steve wasn't herself. She was hanging around the coop instead of usual free ranging and her dropping were very loose.

Due to the droppings I had to give her a bath ( she doesn't like being handled so that was more stress) they were matting her rear feathers quite badly. Unfortunately I had put this down to the fright she had got and hoped she would perk up . She hasn't eaten much and I separated her from the rest and put her in warm shed to see if this would help . She has her usual pellets with some everyday mix in it and I gave her water with ACV and garlic(they always have this anyway)
I now see this morning that she has worms in her droppings. It looks like they have set in quite well as there are a lot of them :(

I have immediately cleaned everything and started them on Flubenvet. I am unsure if the rest have them I would presume so if one does?
My chickens usually get laying pellets mixed with an everyday mix(seeds/corn etc) from WCF. They tend to poke out the good mix and leave the pellets and they usually get a treat each day whether it be a banana some oats or corn etc.

I know it will be difficult to get them to take the flubenvet from the pellets so I have mixed the 6g with 2kg of the very day mix and given them that today in the hope they will actually eat it. Will this be ok ? Is there anyway I could make sure they get it , should I stop them free ranging ? So worried they don't get the medicine as it doesn't look like a lot either when you mix it up.

Also Steve isn't eating and unsure if she's drinking. I have put her back with the other but she's just sitting in the nest box. How can I make sure she gets it ? Is it too late have the worms been too much for her ? Should I get a different wormer that I can give her with a syringe or something ?

Its my own fault , when I got them from market I was told they were wormed. I should just have wormed them anyway :(

Any help is much appreciated

Last edited:
I gave mine 0.1 cc of ivermectin for worms and parasites. Seems to have worked. And that was directly my mouth so I knew they got it. Even though it was an adventure trying to get it in their beaks!

Back
Top Bottom