Worms in feces, graphic and horrible picture

Quote:
Good to know! Do you give orally?

Valbazen which is a cattle wormer.It kills more types of worms than all the others combined, And you don't have to worry about a massive worm kill like with piperazine or ivermectin which will sometimes clog the intestines..Valbazen slowly starves the parasites over a 2 to 5 day period..Valbazen is also used for human treatments at 400 mg child or adult..So unless you are allergic to it, it's ok to consume the eggs after treatment, but most I know wait two weeks .. Dosage is 1/2 cc orally to adult large fowl.. 1/4 cc for bantams and young standard breeds.

Quote:
Good to know! Do you give orally?

Valbazen which is a cattle wormer.It kills more types of worms than all the others combined, And you don't have to worry about a massive worm kill like with piperazine or ivermectin which will sometimes clog the intestines..Valbazen slowly starves the parasites over a 2 to 5 day period..Valbazen is also used for human treatments at 400 mg child or adult..So unless you are allergic to it, it's ok to consume the eggs after treatment, but most I know wait two weeks .. Dosage is 1/2 cc orally to adult large fowl.. 1/4 cc for bantams and young standard breeds.

Thanks!! I'll have to get some of this stuff! Wonder if TSC sells it?

Ok, so taking a little longer to get back to this topic, but am back. This is a topic worthy of good conversation, as is occurring.

I am wondering why worming for the tapeworm is not as common as worming for round worms. It is pretty much known that chickens get worms. Period. They get them from ground critters, overhead critters and anything that may carry a worm. I realize that certain worms are host specific and that different types of a species of worms (i.e., dog round worms are different than chicken round worms) infect different types of critters.

I think most of us are on a worming program for round worms in our chickens. Some use drugs, such as piperazine, some use other things like apple cider vinegar and seeds, such as pumpkin. Whatever the type of "mediciation" used, we use them.

Why on earth is not tapeworm on a regimen with the regular thought of round worm medicating?

Tapeworm can be transmitted to chickens, just the same as round worms can. Tapeworms can come from slugs, mice, and so on as well.

I have a curious nature and love to understand things.

Could someone give an answer why tapeworm is not the "usual" worm, such as "roundworm" to treat for? Or am I missing something. Do most people use the product that treats ALL worms in the poultry industry. I am getting a little confused here about worming. I always worm for round worm, on a regular basis. But until I discovered the tapeworm eggs in that original picture of the poop, I had no clue that poultry can get tapeworm too. Probably just uninformed.

I would like to hear more of the use of meds for worming here. This to me has become a very interesting topic. Still trying to figure out how to ensure that each chicken gets their fair share of meds though. Have that wonderful and awesome day, CynthiaMQ.

Albendazole as a human medication carries the warning do not take when pregnant and after stopping treatment wait one month before getting pregnant. And that counts for men as well as women as Albendazole gets into sperm and can cause birth defects. So while there is no official recommended egg withdrawal period for chickens treated with Albendazole, and chickens of course are treated with much smaller doses than humans, it would probably be wise to follow those warnings.

I use Flubendazole (UK wormer) which is chemically almost exactly the same thing. It's licenced for use on poultry and there is no egg withdrawal period.

Quote:
Which makes me wonder, should I also put off collecting eggs for hatching until after two weeks, when using albendazole?

(This is a very informative thread!)

This has helped me out so much!! Just waiting on our Valbazen to get here from jefferslivestock.com. Woke up this morning and checked on the chickens, and BAM!! yucky creepy crawlies in the poo. Thank you so much dawg!!

I don't think that anyone mentioned manure management here. The tapeworm bits in the poop go into the ground, and then into all of the things that chickens like to eat, like beetles and earthworms and fly larvae. Clean the coop and run thoroughly, and haul that muck far away. If your chickens free-range, fence off the area they've been and get them onto new ground. Otherwise, even though you'll kill the tapeworms with the chemicals, they'll just ingest them again. Also, internal parasites thrive in other stages in wet, humid, shady places. Keep your coops clean and don't let the manure pile up!

Quote:
I understand what you're saying and I agree but it's impossible to pick up every piece of poop in a yard, even in a pen. Rain dissolves most of it into the ground. Keep in mind that wild birds introduce tapeworm eggs on property as well as other internal and external parasites. Worm oocysts are everywhere in the soil, the grass that chickens eat etc...There are types of worms that are more destructive to poultry than tapeworms. As far as picking them up and ingesting again is an excellent point you make. This is why I always recommend a worming schedule; be it yearly, semi annually, or whenever the owner sees fit. The local environment plays a role as well as soil conditions on how often chickens should be wormed. I worm mine once a quarter due to our soil conditions here. A regular worming schedule keeps your chickens healthy and long lived.
ETA: I'll check out your hencam tomorrow, that ought to be cool!

Last edited:
I have a 2 wk old chick that developed pasty butt. This chick is inside my house in a specially kept incubation/brooding room. When I cleaned off the hardened feces and put it back in the brooder. I checked on it later and it had a couple inch long worms coming out of its vent. I cleaned this off, pulled the rest of the worm off, and tried to contact someone about deworming chicks this young...the instructions on dewormer is starting at 4 wk.s The next day, yesterday, another worm came out of this tiny chick. I deluted some of the dewormer and gave ane drop orrally, and later, three more worms came out. I can NOT imagine how this tiny chick got worms, especially this bad! The room has no insects....or any way for them to eat any thing except chick starter. Their litter is cleaned twice a day, the water & food dishes cleaned once daily. It is in with 15 other tiny chicks...no sign of it anywhere else...but I am on the watch. Has anyone else experienced worms in tiny chicks?

Oh wow, I am subscribed to this topic, glad that I am. These chicks are two weeks old and obviously have never been in contact with other birds to ingest something to give worms. Now this gives rise to the thought that the mother(s) of the chicks are heavily infested with worms and that the worms have been incubating in the egg as well. This is something that I would really like to know more about. Can worms be transferred from the egg to the hatched chick, I guess so. It would be very interesting to hear of others thoughts to this, wondering if these are your own hatching eggs or from somewhere else. A worming program must be in very dire order if the eggs came from your chickens. Oh, just thought, maybe you got them as day old chicks and they aren't even from your stock. You need to clarify a bit more. I think that all the young chicks need to be dewormed. If one has them, surely the others have or will get them too.This is interesting and can't wait to hear more answers from others on this. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaMQ.

Back
Top Bottom