Worms

Mcmchick

Chirping
May 30, 2021
Hi -

I occasionally get freaked out by what may just be chalaza in my eggs, then I find myself researching worms and never coming to a concrete answer. Regardless of what this is, should I treat my chickens anyways? What should I use? I went thru their poop this morning and it just looked like pepples to me more than worms.

Attachments

• 20220812_103110.jpg
    20220812_103110.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220812_103702.jpg
    20220812_103702.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 10
Regardless of what this is, should I treat my chickens anyways
Never treat your birds for what they don't have.. then it may not work if they get it and actually need treatment.. you've heard of resistance to drugs.. it's factual.

That looks like shed intestinal lining or more likely a laying hiccup and part of an incomplete egg.

ONLY large round worm species and tapeworms may ever be seen by the naked eye. All other remain IN the intestines and only their microscopic oocyst (eggs) will pass.

Having a conversation with your local vet or ag department about your area conditions.. soil type, wildlife load, stock density, weather pattern, etc.. may help you determine IF your birds should be on a specific schedule for this type of parasite maintenance.

ETA: following link..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

This egg is from my hen who has had outter egg quality issues before, so that makes sense to me. Thanks for the input. So much information out there, hard to narrow it down sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom