worms

ams4776

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
in harmony with all in harmony
Now i really dont think my chickens have worms. Was wondering though is it a good idea for worm med anyway to be safe (like cats and dogs) or not. Also how often? Have no idea of they have ever been givin meds or not

Aloha. So, is this a new endeavor? If you got all the chickens at once and you want to be safe, you can get a small bag of medicated feed at the feed store. There is chick starter and even pellets that are medicated. I, myself, do not want my animals, or children or anything, on medication for life. But a small (10 lbs) sack would ease your mind and get rid of any parasites. After that, a good book or some old codger who has been raising hens in your area for a million years is your best source for care. The best things for hens are clean balanced food, fresh water, a bit of greens, a chance to dust and scratch for bugs and get a little exercise, and fresh air and a clean coop or enclosure.

You have children...teach them to sit down for 5 minutes each day and KNOW their flock. Sit down a short distance away and simply observe. Teach them; show them how to notice every chicken and every part of that chicken. In just a couple of weeks a smart kid will start noticing the quirks, behaviors and habits of each chicken. Then the 5 minutes becomes the daily physical check-up. You will be surprised. A change in poop, a watery eye, a dominant one suddenly passive and quiet--the kids will notice and report and you'll be on top of any problem. Good luck.

A good basic one to put into their water is "Wazine 17." You can get it at any feedstore and I would treat maybe twice a year. Wazine 17 only kills large roundworms so I would also get Safeguard paste and give each chicken a pea sized drop on a treat maybe once or twice a year (interchange with the Wazine 17). This should be more then enough protection and it's cheap. Don't wait until it's too late. I wormed my hens with Wazine 17 and then waited 6 months and one hen almost died...she has lots of roundworms.....so go ahead with a good paste, too.
And remember to toss the eggs while they are being medicated.

Thanks. Ill prob get em a bit to be safe after i collect some eggs to hatch. They have all seemed fine and happy but yeah hate to lose any if i miss something. Though i like the have the kids watch em. My older one might just do it

Quote:
Hi Lauriruth! I am in Fort Worth!!
Yes, I have seen Safeguard paste at TSC! They sell many worming pastes there in the equine section! I have heard that Safeguard is the best and the safest for chickens.....give a pea size drop on a treat/bread to each chicken I would say twice a year. Then do a Wazine 17 worming in their water every year at least.
They say two weeks to wait before egg consumption after worming but my aunt whom has been a vet tech for 31 years said when people get worms (yuck-o) that they are prescribed Pancur (which is just another worming paste like Safeguard). So long story short, she doesn't think you need to toss the eggs - - if those pastes are safe for chicken consumption then it's safe for human consumption.....makes sense I suppose!

Quote:
Hi Lauriruth! I am in Fort Worth!!
Yes, I have seen Safeguard paste at TSC! They sell many worming pastes there in the equine section! I have heard that Safeguard is the best and the safest for chickens.....give a pea size drop on a treat/bread to each chicken I would say twice a year. Then do a Wazine 17 worming in their water every year at least.
They say two weeks to wait before egg consumption after worming but my aunt whom has been a vet tech for 31 years said when people get worms (yuck-o) that they are prescribed Pancur (which is just another worming paste like Safeguard). So long story short, she doesn't think you need to toss the eggs - - if those pastes are safe for chicken consumption then it's safe for human consumption.....makes sense I suppose!

Hey Lauriruth - - check out DAWG53. He knows EXACT details about when to worm, how to worm, what to worm, etc etc....I mean every last detail. He just sent some info to me and it has so much more info in it then what I knew....check him out..... He talks about using the Wazine 17 and then on the 10th day exactly using a backup worming paste like Safeguard and giving each chicken a small dose.... this way all woms are knocked out for sure...before they're able to rehatch....

X 2 on Dawg53. He helped me get my chickens in ship shape a few months ago as well. Medicated feed usually has coccidiostats in it, for coccidia only, not for worms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom