wormy chickens, advice?

Sorry for the delay, just have to finish my chores and I'll post them from the computer, not this stupid iPad, lol.

-Kathy

The weights were take from wiki pages, so I hope they are accurate, lol. The dose amount is based on 20mg per kilogram of 10% fenbendazole and one can use liquid or paste, it's the same.

Give hens the amount listed, by mouth, three days in a row. Know that it's better to give too much than too little.

EE hens - 2.5kg - 0.5ml fenbendazole 10%
Barred Rock pullet - 2.3-2.7kg - 0.46ml to 0.54ml fenbendazole 10%
Barred Rock hen - 3-3.4kg - 0.6ml to 0.68ml to fenbendazole 10%
Cream Legbar Hens - 2-2.7kg - 0.4ml to 0.54ml fenbendazole 10%
Production red hen - 2.9kg - 0.58ml fenbendazole 10%
Russian Orloff Hen - 3kg - 0.6ml fenbendazole 10%
Delaware hen - 2.9kg - 0.58ml fenbendazole 10%
Lavender Orpington hen - 3.6-4.8kg - 0.72ml to 0.96ml fenbendazole 10%
Welsummer hen - 2.7kg - 0.54ml fenbendazole 10%

You should probably follow up with a single dose on day ten to get any eggs that might have hatched.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thought this might help.

-Kathy

• If possible, consult your veterinarian.
  • Do not attempt if you cannot safely and gently carry and restrain your bird.
  • Do not attempt if bird's crop is full of water as aspiration can occur from handling.
  • Do not attempt until you know the difference between the oesophagus and the trachea.
  • Do not do if your bird is molting.

• Choose your mg/kg of fenbendazole, liquid or paste.

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

• Get your supplies ready

• Catch and weigh your bird.

• Calculate dose and prepare one or more syringes. Please note that this method will work for those who use a 1cc/ml syringe. Anything larger is too big and IMNSHO, not safe!

Please note that I was the one holding the bird and taking the pictures, please use both hands!
  • Hold bird - I like to sit with my thighs parallel to the ground, feet firmly on ground and the bird in my lap. I hold it gently, but firmly and grab the head.

• Open mouth and wait for bird to relax.

• Insert syringe - I like to insert from left to right, across the tongue, behind the trachea, into the oesophagus. Again, wait for the bird to relax.

• Give wormer

• Repeat in ten days.

Here is the abstract on worming with fenbendazole:

Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.

Ssenyonga GS.

Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.
PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Thank y'all so much! So how long will I need to ait till we can collect the eggs to eat them? So I give them 1 dose today and 10 days later give them another?

One dose today, tomorrow and Friday, or you might not get all of the worms. Then dose ten days after Friday. I'll get you the egg withdrawal info.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom