worried about my hen

Is it night time there now?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3385783
I’m in Scandinavia, Sweden Västra Götaland region to be specific. It gets dark pretty early during winters so they sleep around 16:00.

About the standing up picture, will any picture do? Any specific angles?

I give my chickens wet cat food (NOT chicken flavour!) from a tin with poultry vitamins mixed in. The protein usually does the trick of perking them up. I give any hens which are moulting cat food to help them through.
I'm in Scotland, so the days are not very long here either (albeit longer than were you are) and my hens didn't want to go out when there was snow.

Hope your hen will be okay (she looks like mine)
Thank you for the advice I’ll be buying wet cat food tomorrow and give it a shot!

I’d love to see a picture of the chicken of yours that looks like mine I’ve been wondering if there’s any that look like her

She’s sleeping right now but I’ll get a picture of how she stands tomorrow. (Unless you want a picture of how she stands when sleeping because I can get one as well)

The spot I don’t know if it’s blood because it’s a zoomed in picture on wood planks I set up yesterday for extra places to sleep on. The wood planks all have weird red spots on them I don’t know if it’s because of the wood type or something else. But I’m double checking the spot incase it is blood.
Inspect the red just to see what it might be. Could be someone had a bleeding toenail or something.

As for the photos, just some of her standing like she normally does, poop photos if you can catch some of those too.

Inspect the red just to see what it might be. Could be someone had a bleeding toenail or something.

As for the photos, just some of her standing like she normally does, poop photos if you can catch some of those too.
I couldn’t catch any poop photos today, the poop had fallen in the sawdust that’s on the floor along with the poop from the others. I checked every chickens toe and legs and there was nothing on them, no wounds on their faces either so idk if that was blood or just a spot.

As for how she’s standing I hope these pics help.

Attachments

• 412B8B79-99EC-4D57-8CB1-732A9EC32217.jpeg
    412B8B79-99EC-4D57-8CB1-732A9EC32217.jpeg
    719.9 KB · Views: 5
  • FF7D340C-DDF6-45B4-B39C-467AE46F595C.jpeg
    FF7D340C-DDF6-45B4-B39C-467AE46F595C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 02DDA479-C9C8-4DE8-9DB8-FC7DA5BB86EF.jpeg
    02DDA479-C9C8-4DE8-9DB8-FC7DA5BB86EF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Thank you for the advice I’ll be buying wet cat food tomorrow and give it a shot!

I’d love to see a picture of the chicken of yours that looks like mine I’ve been wondering if there’s any that look like her
This breed is called Daisy Belles. but call them the Decibels as they are pretty loud! 😅

Attachments

• bella_bib.jpg
    bella_bib.jpg
    873 KB · Views: 4
She looks very fine to me too. I think it is just a lack of sunshine. If your outdoors, has a wind break, even a plastic tote on the side or hay bales, something where they can get out of the wind, it will really encourage them to go outside. I think outside is good for chickens.

16 hours of roosting is going to decrease egg laying.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom