Worried about shivering chickens and sudden drop in temperature

Last night was cold like -13 F
Worried about them all night.
Then today I back from work at 2Pm ( -7F)
Run to check my two girls immediately
So I tried to insulate the coop to help them stay warm(by cover with plastic and put big block of bedding material around the coop under the plastic cover though).
In coop like about (-2F)
In coop has heat waterer , a lot of bedding.
Two girls snuggle close to heat waterer when I first open. They still happy and take my meal worm treats.
And they still alive .. i am very happy of the day.
welcome-byc.gif

So glad everything was ok, they look so cute! i have gold laced wyandottes, your look like a lovely silver and a lovely gold! This winter is a bit tough on ALL of us! Great hens for cold weather! Good choice!

Last edited:
Hi mobius,

Happy chicken keeper. So now our area will get warm up now. ( I am in Missoula).. Last night was scary for me. Thrusday I went to Murdoc and buy a few more big block of bedding and put around my coop under my plastic cover though. Next frozen time I will be more prepare. I scary to death last night.

Thanks to share your story. You have a good night. I will sleep good tonight. Not too worried anymore..

When there is a sudden drop in temperatures it is normal for some birds to look hunched and even to shiver. Shivering warms them up. Your birds will get used to the temperatures. Extra heat will interfere with that process. It can take about a week after a temperature drop for birds to be used to the new normal. Sand can be cold to stand on so bedding in cold weather can help.

When there is a sudden drop in temperatures it is normal for some birds to look hunched and even to shiver. Shivering warms them up. Your birds will get used to the temperatures. Extra heat will interfere with that process. It can take about a week after a temperature drop for birds to be used to the new normal. Sand can be cold to stand on so bedding in cold weather can help.

And I so like the straw for them to stand on and scratch through! They put it where they want it and I think it keeps them warmer walking around...I had one chicken kind of cuddling in it today...that sudden drop may mean they haven't quite acclmated yet, but they will! Most of us in the northern climes probably have chickens who didn't get a nice long cool-down to acclimate...weather has been a bit sudden drop into frigid temps for a lot of us. Mine acclimated through a molt of all things and were out scampering around today and roosting outside in minus zero temps during the day.

This has been quite a shocking year for my birds. One day it was 60 degrees the next we were below freezing and the temperatures keep dropping. We are suppose to warm to the 20's after our next round of bitter wind chills. Should feel like a heat wave and maybe my chickens will finally go outside. This is the first year they have stayed in the shed for such a long time. Crazy year.

This has been quite a shocking year for my birds. One day it was 60 degrees the next we were below freezing and the temperatures keep dropping. We are suppose to warm to the 20's after our next round of bitter wind chills. Should feel like a heat wave and maybe my chickens will finally go outside. This is the first year they have stayed in the shed for such a long time. Crazy year.
x2...was in the low 60s today but was -2 degrees with windchill just the other day. Difficult for both birds and humans to adjust to.
1f641.png

Same here...below zero just two days previous, now 50-60 today. And tonight it's 63* but supposed to drop to the 30s by tomorrow and then into the teens tomorrow night. Wacky and hard for any animal to adapt to that. Rained a lot last night and today, so that shoots the humidity levels up and then that cold weather will hit again. Good luck to everyone trying to control humidity levels in the coops this year!

However, we just had a major drop in temperature from yesterday. It's been hovering around 24-26 during the days and about 14 at night. Today, it's gone down to -13 and it will be colder tonight.

I've always said it feels 10x as cold here (Ontario) because of the humidity...
So the temps cited in your first post were Centigrade not Fahrenheit???

Best to always use C or F when citing temps.......and/or add your location to your profile.

A closed waterer is great for reducing added humidity...not a good time of year to train to nipples but....
....keep this mind for the future:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples

Back
Top Bottom