Worried about ventilation

amandarestes

Hatching
Aug 16, 2016
My husband and I are currently in the process of building a new coop and run for our ever growing flock. The coop itself is an 8x8 box and on the plans I thought I had okay ventilation but the more and more it comes together I'm worried that it's just not enough.

We have 2 windows on the front wall that are 18x24 and will always remain open, 2 approx 12x12 gable vents for the front wall and back wall and then the pop door which will generally always remain open (no worry of predators in our area).

Any thoughts?

Welcome to BYC!

Pics of coop and run would really help......and your location for climate info.

No predators? Really?

Last edited:
Please rethink your stance of "no worry of predators in our area".
Leaving pop doors open 24/7 is a mistake. We have seen many posts from members whom left them open and have walked into a bloody massacre the next morning. It's heartbreaking.

Sounds like adequate ventilation, though.
Would like to see pics please.

Here is where we are in construction so far. We are in Phoenix, AZ so really hot in the summer and then it does cool down quite a bit in the winter. Our existing hens have been getting by so far in a small, pre-fab coop (you can almost see in the right of the picture) that has almost no ventilation but wanted to do better this time around. For the hot summers we are building a hatch to prop a box fan in to keep the circulation going, that worked well this summer.

Yes, no real predators. We live in an urban neighborhood so don't need to worry about raccoons, foxes, bears or snakes. We have 3 dogs so any cats give our yard a very wide berth. The chickens only real enemy is our overly rambunctious Boston Terrier who wants nothing more to cuddle and lick them (or more likely snack on them).

In our existing coop we have left the pop door open 24/7 and had no issues but my husband now tells me he has purchased ropes and pulleys to make it easy to raise and lower the door. I spaced the fact that we have an "accidental" rooster so wanted to keep the gang inside while he does all his crowing to lessen the disturbance to the neighbors.

Will probably need more advice on pop door and integrating our newbies in with our older hens but right now in the project I am focused on ventilation. All of your advice and concern is hugely appreciated.

Leave eaves/soffit areas wide open, maybe even add a ridge vent in addition to the gable vents.
Way more windows, big ones, on all sides of coop.
I like top hinged windows, you don't have to worry about rain much....
......but if you put shade cloth or white wash on window glass during summers they could also provide shade for open windows.

Leave eaves/soffit areas wide open, maybe even add a ridge vent in addition to the gable vents.
Way more windows, big ones, on all sides of coop.
I like top hinged windows, you don't have to worry about rain much....
......but if you put shade cloth or white wash on window glass during summers they could also provide shade for open windows.

Like aart said, open eaves, and ridge venting aren't reliant on a breeze. They change air by evacuating warmer air thru the ridge vent. Even in dead calm an eave, ridge will actively (passively) change air.

Hang ribbon and watch it. It's amazing.

Eaves and ridge. Eaves and ridge.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom