Worried! Will mom eat/hurt it?

Sarjeanp

Songster
7 Years
May 26, 2015
At least one baby is born, please watch until the very end of the video, mom is pecking it aggressively, and I can’t see under her now, but she is eating the egg and doing the fast head pecking underneath her, so I don’t know if she’s doing that to the egg or the baby. Is it normal? I have heard of moms eating their babies and that was my fear! I can’t get it to upload, I will do that a different way, but in the meantime hopefully someone answers this, I’m sitting here watching her freaking out a little bit

At least one baby is born, please watch until the very end of the video, mom is pecking it aggressively, and I can’t see under her now, but she is eating the egg and doing the fast head pecking underneath her, so I don’t know if she’s doing that to the egg or the baby. Is it normal? I have heard of moms eating their babies and that was my fear! I can’t get it to upload, I will do that a different way, but in the meantime hopefully someone answers this, I’m sitting here watching her freaking out a little bit

Didn't look abnormal or aggressive. Was she pecking at the egg shell or an unhatched egg? Keep an eye on here incase she does hurt them.

Last edited:
I found out she was eating the shell... is that normal? Dang, I feel like a new mom with a human! lol I have another video of the baby continuing to come out from under her, and she pecked a couple times at the eye and legs, didn't damage, but a quick peck.

It's not unheard of. Some broodies will peck at the shells to "assist" in hatching. She may be trying to remove they empty shells under her so it's more comfy. And sometimes the hens will give quick assertive pecks to the chicks. Typically when they want them to go back underneath for warmth and safety.

It's not unheard of. Some broodies will peck at the shells to "assist" in hatching. She may be trying to remove they empty shells under her so it's more comfy. And sometimes the hens will give quick assertive pecks to the chicks. Typically when they want them to go back underneath for warmth and safety.
Sorry, let me clarify, she was pecking at the opened shell that that baby came from, not an unhatched one. Thank you everyone!

Back
Top Bottom