Worry wart Mama...

MamaAB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
So I started on this journey and my kids are super excited that we are going to be chicken owners, growing up in the country but NEVER having chickens my information was pretty slacking. So I have been reading as much as I can. Now I am alittle worried...

I ordered the Rainbow Layers for Murray mcMurray. And they send a free chick that I have read is usually a rooster.

Ok this is my worry... (its ok to tell me I am just being overly worried because my husband already has)

Since I didn't/can't research and pick each breed that I am getting I am worried I am going to end up with aggressive chickens and or rooster who will attack my kids and injure them in some way.

Are there ways to help make them less agressive or is it jsut luck of the draw?

Handle the birds early and often and they should be fine. Sometimes you just get some bad luck and end up with a rotten bird or two, but those can be dinner or given away to someone else that could use them.

No worries! Deep breath.
frow.gif

haha I know I know...its silly to worry about before the little birds even get here! I just read a post about that and havn't been able to stop thinking about it since then!

Are there certain breeds that I should be sure to stay clear of?

It is mostly luck of the draw but for the most part well fed hens won't attack. Roosters are another story but if you get a mean one then there are options. How old are your children? If they are school age (5+) you shouldn't have much issue. Our naughty roo was not what I would call agressive but he chased my 2 year old. The older ones just kicked him and after a couple rib shots he was cured but still chased the little one who couldn't defend himself and so the rooster is no longer.

ETA: my point was more that it is usually a gradual development not one day the bird goes psycho and tries to peck you to death.

Last edited:
haha I know I know...its silly to worry about before the little birds even get here! I just read a post about that and havn't been able to stop thinking about it since then!

Are there certain breeds that I should be sure to stay clear of?

The ones I'd not recommend for beginners are the games and Sumatras. Aggression tends to manifest itself more in those breeds, and even then the cockerels and roosters are the most guilty, hens not so much. Your rainbow layer assortment should not present a problem, and your "free exotic chick" can be re-homed pretty easily if needed.

Thank you VERY much! I have 3 older kids 8+ and then a 1 year old who is VERY observant. I can see him chasing chickens around trying to watch them/get close to them. And was just worried they would get him haha I will just make sure that I watch when they are out and make sure if one seems more agressive to rehome if needed.

I am pretty curious about this free rare chick...heck I am curious about all of them :) I am excited!

Here's what you do if you want to make sure you raise calm, friendly, tame chickens. It's all in how you set up the brooder and handle the chicks.

Get a nice-sized cardboard appliance box and cut a big window in it on one of the large sides, and cut an access door into the opposite big side. Leave a "hinge" where the door is still attached along the bottom edge about ten inches above the bottom, so you will be able to open this to access the chicks. Tape clear plastic over the window, and you can fashion a "lock" to hold the door closed with a popsicle stick attached with a screw and nut so it can swivel. After the chicks become real active and are beginning to get feathers, the heat lamp is raised and the top is covered with cheese cloth stretched tight over the top to prevent them flying out.

By creating a brooder with a side access, you will be able to approach the chicks from the side instead of from overhead. This makes all the difference since chicks are deathly afraid of anything coming at them from above since they have a natural fear of air-born predators. Having the brooder placed on a table up off the floor makes it easier for humans to handle the chicks and the chicks can see who is doing the handling. This is a wonderful set-up if you have small children who want to play with the chicks, as this is sort of like a doll house and easy for them to reach in and safely handle the chicks. If you place it in the center of a room, the chicks will see humans coming and going every day and become accustomed to people that way.

Handle the chicks as frequently as possible and by the time they've grown, they will know the members of their human family by sight and will be very tame and trusting.

By the way, sometimes the mystery chick actually turns out to be a pullet, so don't worry about it so much. Also, roosters can be very trusting and tame, too. They're not all tyrants.

Last edited:
Just going to echo what the others have said. Your layer assortment ISN"T going to attack you. That's just not basic hen behavior.

A rooster won't attack you when he's really young. Usually it's around sexual maturity that you see aggression. I do have one suggestion should you get a rooster--DON'T go out of your way to make him tame. Keep him a little afraid of you--not panicky, just not wanting to be touched and cuddled. You want him to calmly move away from you if you walk towards him. Don't cuddle him in your lap, NEVER allow him on your shoulder or anywhere where his head is higher than yours. Those are clear signs in bird language that he's higher in the pecking order than you. There are a lot of sad stories here on BYC about peoples' "pet" rooster suddenly flogging them. Treat him like what he is--a potentially dangerous animal, the same as a bull or a stallion. Treat with caution and never stop being vigilant.

Don't get me wrong--we have had a parade of roosters here, and two little kids who love to gather eggs. So I'm not saying that a rooster will always be dangerous, I'm just saying don't make him a pet, and especially not a pet for the kids. Right now we have three roosters, including one Rhode Island Red (known to be an aggressive breed of rooster). I've only ever had one rooster make an aggressive move towards me. I chased him around the pasture flapping my arms and screeching at him, then caught him and held him down and carried him for a while. Three days later, he acted aggressive again (head low, neck feathers puffed out, took steps towards me). He was dead before sunset. We have a "two strikes and you're out" rule for roosters but rarely have to invoke the rule. We just don't pet and play with the boys, and they move away from us when we walk near.

Ok Thank you again for taking the time to ease my fears! I am planning on doing as much "holding/petting" as I possiblly can. So hopefully that will make it better. Also planning on not letting the little one hold them on his own for a while because he still likes to hold animals alittle bit to rough.

Back
Top Bottom