Pics
Buff Orpintons are the WORST breed I've owned so far, and we have over 20 different breeds. Out of 9 buff orpintons (4 roosters and 5 hens) I am only keeping one hen. Other then the one hen I'm keeping (she is a sweetheart) the other 4 are half the time snobby. The roosters are nice to me normally but terrible to everyone else chicken wise including each other (to the DEATH). I would NEVER recommend this breed.

P.S. There is definitely nice Buff Orpintons (the one hen I am keeping is a perfect example) but the mean ones seem nice at first and when they decide they don't like they're flock mates, death begins. I just think they are so many other great breeds why take a chance?

The only experience I have with a Buff Orpington was a retired layer that someone sold me for $5. She never laid an egg while I had her but she was a pretty awesome chicken. We liked having her around and called her grandma. She didn’t live long after I got her. She died of natural causes. She was advertised as “lays occasionally”. I guess the seller really had no way of knowing. It was sorta like the time I got a young cat that had kittens two weeks later. I just chalked it up as one of those funny things.

Of the ones I have kept I would say OEGB but maybe it was just my two. " Friendly, Easily handled, Calm, Bears confinement well, Docile" are all complete opposites to the ones I had
So far mine meet the common description. Maybe yours are closer related to the ones that fought originally.

Ayam cemani, despite their beauty. My family got 5 because “they sell for a lot”, both hens died off before laying, to circumstances i don’t know, and were left with 3 roos. One died, also not sure to what, something was probably wrong with them.
The two remaining stayed with my main flock, and were some of the worst roosters ever. With two other easter egger roos, they’d all go after one hen at the same time, and tore up a lot of backs, the ayam cemanis would also go after younger birds, like horribly, and other roosters too. I separated them, and family sold one roo and got two hens, months ago at this point. One hen died, I found her with her neck through the cage wall, and the other hasn’t started laying at all yet.

I think it’s a shame, really, the black skin is so pretty. On the upside, and unrelated, I have a little line of fibro bantams i’m starting, and my only adult hen has laid much better than the ayam cemanis.

The only experience I have with a Buff Orpington was a retired layer that someone sold me for $5. She never laid an egg while I had her but she was a pretty awesome chicken. We liked having her around and called her grandma. She didn’t live long after I got her. She died of natural causes. She was advertised as “lays occasionally”. I guess the seller really had no way of knowing. It was sorta like the time I got a young cat that had kittens two weeks later. I just chalked it up as one of those funny things.
Buff Orpingtons can definitely be great chickens, I find it just widely varies and tends to lean more to the mean side. The hen that I am keeping is one of my absolute favorite chickens and we own LOTS so that's saying something. She has a adorable face and hugs me.

I’ll never own a silkie again. They always die. They have to live in your house with you in order to survive.
Sorry I’ll have to disagree. Saying that they always die is kind of a broad statement. Maybe you just had some unhealthy birds from a hatchery that were inbred or something. I find mine to be hardy little birds that have not had any health issues to speak of.
None of mine live indoors except for newly hatched chicks for the first week.
Just throwing my two cents in. Agree that they do require more protection from the elements than smooth feathered birds.😊

To answer the question though in the post topic, I probably won’t get the Welsummer/CCL cross OE I have again. She is a gorgeous bird and lays gorgeous eggs, but she is super flighty and skittish. All my other birds are chill and allow me to pick them up, but not this one. Might just be an individual personality thing in this particular bird.
Another breed I probably won’t get again are Wyandottes. Another gorgeous bird I had but she was such a bully that I had to sell her. Again may just be the individual personality of this bird but I’m not taking any chances.😊

Sorry I’ll have to disagree. Saying that they always die is kind of a broad statement. Maybe you just had some unhealthy birds from a hatchery that were inbred or something. I find mine to be hardy little birds that have not had any health issues to speak of.
None of mine live indoors except for newly hatched chicks for the first week.
Just throwing my two cents in. Agree that they do require more protection from the elements than smooth feathered birds.😊

Yes. Saying they always die is an exaggeration. I just have heartbreak after heartbreak associated with that breed. I raise chickens for fun. Bad luck still leaves an impression on us. If I ever owned a silkie again I would go overboard protecting it so much that it wouldn’t be fun to keep.

Back
Top Bottom