Chicken Breeds Health Problems

What do you mean by this?

Chickens with 5 toes have been around for at least two thousand years, so I've always assumed it was a mutation that occurred naturally, and people chose to breed the ones that had that mutation. So it would have been preserved and spread by people, but not created by any human intervention.

I've read that those nostrils are caused by the v-comb gene, not by the crest gene.
The breed called La Fleche has a v-comb and big nostrils, but no crest.
Cream Legbars have crest (a small one) and a single comb, with normal nostrils.
My star and comet combs have 1 vcomb gene and small crests. Ive noticed my pullet has high nostrils, but my cockerels don't

The DuMOR definitely isn't as good as the Purina or Nutrena all flock products, the ingredients are slightly lesser quality, although, I can't remember, but it may have been the only one with an animal protein source, which is a good thing. The DuMOR is okay if you've got a mature flock, but I prefer one of the other two if there are juveniles in the mix.

Sure, you could get something like calf manna and mix it in at 5% total weight, or the rooster booster top dressing (as far as TSC availability goes), there's also one called Super Spur from Bluebonnet feeds, or Poultry Nutri-balancer from Fertrell.
I was buying nutrena all flock until this last bag. My youngest ones just turned 19 weeks today. I can switch back and look into what you've mentioned. The gait predates the switch to DuMOR.

My star and comet combs have 1 vcomb gene and small crests. Ive noticed my pullet has high nostrils, but my cockerels don't
That's very interesting. I'd read that the big nostrils only appeared with two copies of the v-comb gene, but I've never been in a position to check it for myself.

I'm starting to realize that a lot of the studies on chicken genes were done with a small number of birds, from just one breed with the trait, and then assumed to apply to all other breeds with visually-similar traits. So it's quite interesting to hear where they are right and where they have missed some details. (Hutt's book "The Genetics of the Fowl," published in 1949 and quoted recently by another poster, is based on a bunch of studies like that. But it's still one of the best resources available, because nothing better has come out since.)

I was buying nutrena all flock until this last bag. My youngest ones just turned 19 weeks today. I can switch back and look into what you've mentioned. The gait predates the switch to DuMOR.
While Dumor is comparatively low protein, it's methionine and lysine levels are unusually good, courtesy the pig blood. Doubtful it would be the cause, even if you had fed it from birth. Couple things, only some dietary, can contribute to gait issues. Neither the Nutrena or the Dumor would be the guilty parties there - if it was dietary, it would be a too much scratch, corn, kitchen scraps, or other "addition"-induced imbalance.

I will caveat that DuMor has a LOT of Fibre, comparatively, but not to normally critical levels. In theory, the impact of the high fiber should be mild, and not present as bone or joint issues.

While Dumor is comparatively low protein, it's methionine and lysine levels are unusually good, courtesy the pig blood. Doubtful it would be the cause, even if you had fed it from birth. Couple things, only some dietary, can contribute to gait issues. Neither the Nutrena or the Dumor would be the guilty parties there - if it was dietary, it would be a too much scratch, corn, kitchen scraps, or other "addition"-induced imbalance.

I will caveat that DuMor has a LOT of Fibre, comparatively, but not to normally critical levels. In theory, the impact of the high fiber should be mild, and not present as bone or joint issues.
I got the blrw and langshan when they were about 4 weeks old. Started them on normal chick starter/grower then switched to the nutrena for same protein level but in pellets. Any scratch/kitchen scraps is once or twice every couple of weeks at best. The "dog with shoes on" is noticeable if the langshan is running.
I'm going to try to get a video of them walking/running. Better than me trying to explain. I explain things poorly

Last edited:
That's very interesting. I'd read that the big nostrils only appeared with two copies of the v-comb gene, but I've never been in a position to check it for myself.

I'm starting to realize that a lot of the studies on chicken genes were done with a small number of birds, from just one breed with the trait, and then assumed to apply to all other breeds with visually-similar traits. So it's quite interesting to hear where they are right and where they have missed some details. (Hutt's book "The Genetics of the Fowl," published in 1949 and quoted recently by another poster, is based on a bunch of studies like that. But it's still one of the best resources available, because nothing better has come out since.)
Maybe (now bear with me), its recessive? It would show on females because they only have one Z chromosome, but males have two. I'll most likely be hatching a bunch more (my girl is so cute but i think the females lay male heavy, ended up with 4:1 out of five last year) and I'll keep an eye out on their nostrils

Maybe (now bear with me), its recessive? It would show on females because they only have one Z chromosome, but males have two. I'll most likely be hatching a bunch more (my girl is so cute but i think the females lay male heavy, ended up with 4:1 out of five last year) and I'll keep an eye out on their nostrils
When did you hatch them? I have read that late summer hatches sometimes are male heavy & early spring hatches the opposite.

ETA not saying that’s true, just wondering out of curiosity.

When did you hatch them? I have read that late summer hatches sometimes are male heavy & early spring hatches the opposite.

ETA not saying that’s true, just wondering out of curiosity.
May, so late spring, early summer here. Smack in the middle. They also were incubated for about a week, then left cold for a long night (brooding hen was killed) before being popped in the incubator.

Okay, so they're not as visible as her mom and aunt, but they are flared more than her dad's
20211006_201959.jpg

Back
Top Bottom