Would a Bantam Cochin rooster be good at protecting 15 hens?

Apr 22, 2023
Here’s my 3 and a half week old Cochin, I’m pretty sure he’s a bantam, not 100% sure though. He play fights with the other chicks a lot but he never actually hurts them, nor does he ever try to peck me. I’ve never kept a rooster but I might consider it if he’s a good protector and doesn’t harm the hens. He also already has a favorite hen. He follows her everywhere. Our yard is a decent size and is shaded by trees but there are hawks that occasionally fly around the area.
B165A711-3055-48E4-AFC5-2187380E705A.jpeg

If he is a bantam, he'll only be able to provide a certain amount of protection for your hens..
Because he won't be able to fend off hawks as well as a standard could.

If he is a bantam, he'll only be able to provide a certain amount of protection for your hens..
Because he won't be able to fend off hawks as well as a standard could.
Thanks! Do you think he would be good at warning the hens of danger rather than actually fighting the hawks? I heard some Cochin roosters are quite lazy.

Thanks! Do you think he would be good at warning the hens of danger rather than actually fighting the hawks? I heard some Cochin roosters are quite lazy.
All the rosters I have do the warning call for the hens.
My aunt actually had a bantam cochin rooster for 2 years, and he was a really good boy. Very fertile, he would always warn the hens of danger... Etc.

Our bantam roo was great at protecting his ladies. Alerting them, calling them in. Sadly, a mink got in our coop via a chewed in hole, and it slaughtered 6 of our flock, including my roo. Hoping one of the 7 bantams I have to replace is a roo, and half as good as he was for them

Our bantam roo was great at protecting his ladies. Alerting them, calling them in. Sadly, a mink got in our coop via a chewed in hole, and it slaughtered 6 of our flock, including my roo. Hoping one of the 7 bantams I have to replace is a roo, and half as good as he was for them
That's a bummer.. He sounded like a great boy.

So sorry to hear that… He died protecting his hens, what a brave boy. Good luck on another roo!

Back
Top Bottom