Would a leonberger dog work as a LGD?

Contact a REPUTABLE breeder. I have met a few <I show dogs> they are generally very low drive very sweet dogs.So I wouldnt know, I would recommend on of the traditional livestock guardian breeds.The Leo is a pretty recent breed of dog.

We had a female Leo with a really strong prey drive, basically anything that moved was chased out of the yard. That was until she got cataracts at 6. $4500 later she was good as new but unfortunately died a few years later. I agree with looking for a reputable breeder, one that is registered through the Leonberger club of America, not just the AKC. The LCA has been around for a while but the Leonberger just was accepted into the AKC. Leos are great dogs but I would think about sticking with an Anatolian or a Pyr.

poultry (ducks, chickens, and geese). I don't know what kind of dog to get though? I kind of wanted one that could be left outside so maybe a fluffier breed like a maremma or great pyr, but I would be a little concerned with the fluffier breeds in the summer when it gets warm? So im not sure on which breed

We have several GPs here in Richmond Hill/Savannah GA and the heat doesn't bother them too much as long as they have good shade, plenty of water and are not expected to run much in the middle of the day. And keeping their coats brushed out helps too. You can't just dump then out in the yard with the stock though, they HAVE to be socialized to people, especially to kids, otherwise no one, not even the people you want to come on the farm are going to be allowed on the property.

No I didn't really mean to just dump him outside. When the puppy is younger he would be living inside and getting used to other people and our other pets. I would never just leave them alone outside. We already have a dog and he is inside most of the year other than fall and he is a beagle. Sorry I was not clear enough.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom