Would an owl attack an adult peahen?

roracrittercorner

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 10, 2011
Two nights now in the last week something has attacked my peahen! The first time it got one of her three babies! She looses a great deal of feathers but does not receive any further injuries. She refuses to go in the coop at night, so now I have to find her and put her in by hand every night. I did trap a coon at the site of the first attack, but having taken care of it, something attacked again when I couldn't find her. She is okay and the two remaining babies are to, but for how long? I have had so many losses due to Great Horned Owls!! They took all 20 baby ducks that were born this year, several adult guineas and adult ducks!! They hunt all day! Especially love to hunt noon to one in the afternoon. They have been stalking my peanhen sense she had her young. It seems like the only way for me to keep anything alive is to keep everything locked up around the clock! This is beyond ridiculous!! I have contacted my local animal control, conservation, and fish and wildlife- no one has any answers. I saw an older post where someone trapped one, but it got a wide mixture of responses, good and bad. I know what the laws are and I am fully aware that to harm them is illegal, but does anyone have any suggestions or info on a humane/live relocation? I have done all the scare tricks, removal of as many perches as possible, or make them uncomfortable, electric posts, everything. I am also aware that they are territorial and new ones may simply move in, but perhaps new ones will not be so aggressive. I am more then willing to suffer some losses, and happily share their timber with them, with-in reason. Thank you in advance
smile.png

They might attack a full grown peafowl, but the avoidance of the coop makes it sound like you may have a ground animal problem. Have you set a live trap?

Some people have had success with placing red jewels in the grass in pairs to look like eyes. Do you have any flock guardians, like a dog? You might also try putting up netting over the areas where the peas spend the most time- without wall, just a roof that can stop predators from diving on them.

We have had a hard time with owls and hawks and raccoons ..... this is what we have done ----- crossing our fingers that our "tricks" continue to work!

Hang tin pans in trees
Play a radio -- we play it really load during the day and then turn it down a bit lower for night
String shiny fishing line all around the chicken pen area ---- in trees or hanging from fence posts

I am not sure which one is working, but for right now we have had good luck. We did get two Great Pyrenees puppies, but they are still too little to really guard yet.

Good luck. We lost all (like 60) but six of our chickens last year due to raccons, hawks and owls..... so frustrating!
Trudi

Last edited:
It sounds like you have a bobcat ,i had one taking my ducks last year and trapped it using a fresh kill it made.

I purchased a second LDG and i have had no more problems.

First and foremost, thank you for your advice.
This peahen has always avoided the coop ever sense I brought her home despite many efforts to train her to go in. We have had a big increase in racoons in our area due to the coyotes. The electric fence is well constructed and has five strands yet they still get in. The coop is virtually predator proof, so they may be able to breach the fence, but still leave empty handed. I have not ruled out a ground animal quit yet.
As for a guardian dog, yes, we have one that kills every racoons, opossum, skunk, groundhog, muskrat, or beaver that comes around, but she is getting old. She even puts down stray cats that come on the property. I did catch a coon last week in a live cage, but nothing else has been caught sense. We also play music esp at night, have tried the pie pans, and the fishing string and netting works well if I can keep her in the pasture, but she gets so nervous if I try to keep her in. Seems as though the only way to keep these precious little babies alive is to keep them caged all the time:( At least till they get bigger. Thanks again so so much!!

Quote:
I agree, strange, but they never mess with my Muscovies either. The claws are definitely a deterrent for me! Have you ever been scratched by them, terrible! If my runners leave the enclosed coop they die. Owls really seem to have a taste for them. That and anything opportunistic and tender, like babies:barnie

Quote:
OMG! Please not that now to! The thought crossed my mind sense I have had a few outdoor cats go missing to. The coyotes are very rare on my side of the lake, but at this point who knows. Sorry for my ignorance, but LDG?

Back
Top Bottom