Would love to hear what you think! Breed and Gender! (**PIC HEAVY**)

They all look like pullets to me. Gladys' hackle feathers are kinda long, but nothing else indicates roo to me. They all look to have some EE in them (though I can't completely tell with Wilma and Nugget - do they have beards?), even Esther. Her feathers and shape scream EE to me, her head looks silkie-ish. Does she have any extra toes?

SUCH a cute flock, btw
smile.png

I also agree that they all look like pullets. I know Glady's is 100%. BTW-She is and easter egger. She looks just like my two EE girls. Esther looks like a polish x with EE. Wilma looks to be a Red Star, Golden Comet or Cinnamon Queen (pretty much all look the same.) Nugget looks like she could be one too but the grey feathers have me questioning her breed. Mutt maybe? Regarding the stances of Glady's and Esther, my girls did that all the time at that age. They kind of chest bump and square off. I think it is either chicken play (as young ones) or just starting to test each other for pecking orders. Cute girls!! Below are some pics of my EE girls and my old EE roo for comparison:

This is Hazel: (10 weeks)
89018_hazel_10_weeks.jpg

This is MY Esther:): (4 months)
89018_esther6_4_weeks.jpg

Here was our EE roo (we had to give away): (10 weeks)
89018_dsc09028.jpg

The facing off and ruffled feathers just cracks me up. It is my EE that do that the most. They do it to each other and to some of the other girls. What really makes it funny is that they will be free ranging, look up see one another go on a dead set run/fly to each other stop just short of colliding and stand up like that. There is a face off of about 4 seconds and then it is like they totally forgot what they were doing and go right back to foraging. It made me think they were roos too until I started researching on here. It is just part of their behavior. Oh...did I mention that I love Chicken TV. lol

Quote:
Thanks so much for saying so! I have no idea about Nugget, she is a complete mystery and has no beard. Wilma, Gladys, and Esther all have beards though. Funny thing was, when we got Esther and Wilma @ 2 weeks old, we were told that they were both Ameraucanas! As soon as Esther's little mohawk started coming in though, we knew that something was fishy! The farm we got them from though had 6 roosters, all different breeds, and about 50 hens, different as well, all just roaming freely. I highly doubt that the owner was keeping tabs on who was breeding with whom!

I don't really care what breed they are in the end, who doesn't like mutts anyway, right!!!!
big_smile.png

I was just looking for some guidance there. I am hoping (and thinking) that they are all girls which is great for me! No roos allowed where I live......yet!

Thanks again!

Thanks for everyones input, I really appreciate it!

I hope they are all pullets in the end, and I hope that the guesses on breeds and gender keep coming!!!

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom