Would love to see pictures of your outside access nest boxes!!

This is supposed to be a roll out nest box. I borrowed the interior specifications from a gentlemen on this site who goes by Opa. I later lined the nests with astroturf like inserts and put a pool noodle bumper across the bottom. Store bought eggs roll right down. I had to test several for my own amusement. I've got a few more weeks before my ladies put it to the real test. I hope they like it.
Wow that's a pretty neat idea! Great looking coop as well. Thanks

I think mine could be improved a bit... One thing I notice is that when there is snow on the roof (which isn't much since the coop has an overhang AND the nest box portion extends under my deck) when I open the lid, some snow dust fell off the back of the lid into the nest. Brrrr.... and potentially damp. I'll have to find a way to stop that.

What I like is that I made it so both the lid opens up, and the back can drop down for later cleaning. I have a divider for 2 boxes. Sunny prefers the left side and Florentine likes the right. The other 2 are still figuring it out.

I've also since added some trim pieces along the sides to block any gaps.

I think mine could be improved a bit... One thing I notice is that when there is snow on the roof (which isn't much since the coop has an overhang AND the nest box portion extends under my deck) when I open the lid, some snow dust fell off the back of the lid into the nest. Brrrr.... and potentially damp. I'll have to find a way to stop that.

What I like is that I made it so both the lid opens up, and the back can drop down for later cleaning. I have a divider for 2 boxes. Sunny prefers the left side and Florentine likes the right. The other 2 are still figuring it out.

I've also since added some trim pieces along the sides to block any gaps.

Love the color of the coop :) Thanks for sharing.

Maybe mine doesn't count because it's not really 'outside' access. Access is outside the coop but not outside the shed that the coop is in.

I built the boxes with a big enough window in the wall for each slider/tray. Once the slider/trays are in place, I screwed a small sheet of 1/4 inch plywood on the wall so there is just enough room for the eggs to roll into the collection area. Without that, a smaller bird might squeeze into the collection area.

Eggs are soooo much cleaner.

For annual clean out I just un-screw the the 2 - 1/4 strips of plywood and pull the trays out.

The trays have 1/2 hardware wire. I put straw over top the hardware wire till the girls got the hang of it. Now I don't botther.

Click on the "My Coop" link under my profile pic to see pics of our coop while under construction. There are a few pictures of when we were framing in the nesting box. It's a large communal box and works very well for my girls. As many as four girls will lay at the same time although some of them want to lay on top of each other! Silly girls!

I built the boxes with a big enough window in the wall for each slider/tray. Once the slider/trays are in place, I screwed a small sheet of 1/4 inch plywood on the wall so there is just enough room for the eggs to roll into the collection area. Without that, a smaller bird might squeeze into the collection area.

Eggs are soooo much cleaner.

For annual clean out I just un-screw the the 2 - 1/4 strips of plywood and pull the trays out.

The trays have 1/2 hardware wire. I put straw over top the hardware wire till the girls got the hang of it. Now I don't botther.

I'm liking the roll out idea. The chickens don't mind laying their eggs on the wire mesh?

Back
Top Bottom