Would these work?

Thanks! And where have you been? Seems I used to "run into" you a lot more before than I have recently! Hope all is well with you and yours!

@KDOGG331 See how quickly you go from few options to tons of them around here?
lau.gif

We had some serious issues last fall (almost a full year ago now) when a 9 acres we were leasing was foreclosed on. Long story short, lawyer said not to make an offer/purchase at the sale. We did do a contract and were staying in the house after the foreclosure - w/ us doing the renovations on home to bring it up to passing inspections so that we could purchase. Then, Sheriff showed up w/ eviction notice. Imagine our surprise and horror and the stress levels (our youngest daughter had moved back in w/ us, we had dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, ponies, horses and "STUFF"...) and were given, originally, 7 DAYS to move out!!

Now - we'd been looking for a while(3 years, seriously) for a "place" of our own. Knew what needed, knew what we wanted, knew how much $$ we had and there was simply NOTHING available that even came close (most bare property was more than we had a budget/financing for - and that wouldn't work in our current situation).

The night we'd gotten the eviction notice, our oldest daughter came over (we didn't tell her that night) and she was showing me some property that her and her hubby were looking at on Auction.com. Hmmm... I started looking thru the site, then another one and had 3 properties right in our current county that we could look at. Now, it had been over a year since I'd last looked at anything with/thru a Realtor. The next day, after work, I stopped at a local Realtor's office that I passed on the way from work to home. I was able to speak w/ a Realtor - and she took some time to go over some things and to answer some questions. It was late when I arrived home - did chores - and then spoke w/ hubby. She'd pulled a couple of properties and I had the printouts. The next day, we met her and went and looked at 5 properties (around PACKING almost around the clock w/ us, our family and friends). The first property we looked at was the one I'd seen originally on Auction.com... and it was LOVE AT FIRST SITE. Larry said - as we pulled up to the front gate - "This is HOME"... Took a while to get the financing, closing and all done/wrapped up. What started in October finished w/ us moving in on Dec 19th after closing. We did Thanksgiving from the Hotel, and Christmas was a bit of a sad affair, but we perservered. Then EVERYONE came down sick for the 2 weeks we had off from work or were on vacation... Nothing happened during that time frame. Glad my chickens were at a friends' place (in those tractors) as she took care of them - I barely got off couch/out of bed...Putting up fencing, taking care of horses - was rough! Then, too, weather went BAD.

Pipes froze! and BURST. Water heater exploded (downward, thankfully) - the first month we were here we had major repairs as we replaced pipes, floor and water heater (& did much of it ourselves for the first time ever). When I moved the chickens over here from my girlfriends' place, the cold returned w/ a vengeance and they started dieing - 1 or 2 at a time. Lost a total of 14 birds in 2 weeks - really weird! Part was prob my fault - I had the tractors next to each other, so thought birds were OK to be put together. Some of the deaths MAY have been the result of bullying from my older birds (hens & roo) to the younger ones - but I don't know. A couple just disappeared - they weren't free ranging so we never did figure that out (but we do have hawks, so...???). Stupid me - I was so overwhelmed w/ other things, having my part-time hours become full time into overtime and then having employer say I couldn't get paid overtime due to being a part time employee - welll.... I didn't even think to send any bodies up to State to have necropsied (funny - first thing I would have thought about w/ a pony/horse, but...).

This place is 21 forested acres of HEAVEN, but it's also WORK. That we weren't prepared for (why couldn't we find this place 15 years ago?). I do most of the outdoor stuff myself. Contract some out. Hubby earns most $$ but usually works about the same amount of time as I do. We are on opposite work schedules - I work days, he works nights - as does our daughter still living here and our other daughter about 3 miles away. We moved 20 miles and a little over 1/2 the property is in the same county as we were in for the past 10 years.

Now we are also both having some health issues. Not fun, sometimes really hard to deal with. Honestly, I hadn't even been lurking much on BYC until recently. Not sure what attracted me to this particular thread - just "worked", I guess.

So that's the story, LOL.

I haven't trained or worked or hooked/hitched a pony since last October and I'm getting restless to do that - but things keep happening!... Eventually, it will all work out, LOL.

Really working on becoming more self-sufficient - we'll see if it works as we learn more.

WHEW - LONG story, wrong thread (OOPS) and wow, I need to go take a 3 hour nap before I get up to do morn chores before work, ...

Blooie, thanks for clarifying!

KDOGG331, yes they have a mind of their own, even broodies who have other chicks stuck under them, will sometimes will kill, and mothers who hatch their own eggs will sometimes too!

paintedChix, those green tubs with the locking lids looks like Beekissed picture, from the inventions thread ... Ah, here it is ... Post #170 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/631861/diy-thread-lets-see-your-inventions/160#post_8730528 well ... Almost the same picture ... Same place and coop though! ;)

Last edited:
Wow that's kinda sad. Any particular reason?

And Blooie, yesI can definitely see it now!! I keep thinking "wow great idea I'll do that" then seeing more and thinking THAT one's perfect. LOL

Back
Top Bottom