Would wild mallards come in my yard??

jillmost80

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Oklahoma
So random question. I have two female Indian runner ladies in my back yard. Rescue ladies and they are amazing at laying usually one egg a day and super happy. A month ago I noticed an additional egg and soon realized it was a mallard egg in my yard. I did note that wild mallards are everywhere around my house. Today I woke up to a huge nest in the ladies house. And four eggs in one HUGE nest. The house I have them in is closed at night and no way another animal can get in. But what are the odds of a random wild male mating with my ladies? Wouldn't they stick around more if they did? And what precautions should I take on extra to make sure nothing from these wild ducks spreads into my yard. I am more of a natural cleaner and like to do non chemical things but if need be I will for sure take care of business.

Oh yeah, they will. I've heard of wild mallards mating with backyard ducks. And one of the first videos I found on youtube about backyard runners has an adopted mallard! Pretty funny if you ask me.

My neighbor a block away has a homestead with lots of animals. The creek has wood ducks and mallards. My husband jokes that it would be funny if they adopted us/our flock when they are permanently in the garden.

Best thing you can do if you want to prevent these birds from mixing is to keep yours in a covered run and enclosed coop. I don't think much else would work!

I've never had any wild ones feel comfortable enough to nest in my yard, but I did have a female during a cold snap one winter that (I guess) got tired of trying to forage in the snow and find water that wasn't frozen, so she came into my pen and stayed for two weeks. I probably should've been concerned about diseases, I suppose, but I was just happy to help her out. She flew away once it warmed up a bit.

Oh yeah, they will. I've heard of wild mallards mating with backyard ducks. And one of the first videos I found on youtube about backyard runners has an adopted mallard! Pretty funny if you ask me.

My neighbor a block away has a homestead with lots of animals. The creek has wood ducks and mallards. My husband jokes that it would be funny if they adopted us/our flock when they are permanently in the garden.

Best thing you can do if you want to prevent these birds from mixing is to keep yours in a covered run and enclosed coop. I don't think much else would work!

So they mate and leave? I mean o thought it could potentially happen but I have yet to see any males in our yard. I thought they mate and are buddies from then on. Or is that a myth?
Even worse: The will never pay any child support for their offspring! :lau
Wild ducks are - wild! They may stay for a while or may not, or they stay forever.
Be aware that in some areas you can get into trouble with the law if you allow a wild duck to stay with your domestic duck flock. Some see you in fault if a wild duck removes itself from the wild… :confused:

I have Wild Mallards each spring that try to get at my Call Hens. The last three days they are here till my Big Dogs chase them off. My Call Drake goes bonkers trying to get at the two Drakes that are wanting my Hens.
We have four drakes out back in that pond so that’s why I asked about this. They have what I think is two females. But I know that ratio was off. We have turkeys but they are kinda useless in anything but making noise hahaha

Even worse: The will never pay any child support for their offspring! :lau
Wild ducks are - wild! They may stay for a while or may not, or they stay forever.
Be aware that in some areas you can get into trouble with the law if you allow a wild duck to stay with your domestic duck flock. Some see you in fault if a wild duck removes itself from the wild… :confused:
And as for wild ones no thank you. Hahaha I mean if they fertilized eggs then so be it I will have to be more diligent on the girls and areas they are in. I find it amazing there is four eggs in one nest I mean it’s not like she was slacking on production. We always get one a day. It’s all the ducks they are green and their eggs. I have chickens upstairs in the coop and they lay brown.

Back
Top Bottom