Would you use this FBCM roo for breeding

FeatherQueen3

Songster
Jan 13, 2023
Central NC
He has the slate feet as he should, but he has a lot of yellowish feathers that I'm not sure he should. He came from Murray McMurray. I planned to breed him to FBCM hen, splash marans hens for blue copper marans, and to whiting true blue and cream Legbar hens for olive eggers.

Attachments

• IMG_4446.jpeg
    IMG_4446.jpeg
    790 KB · Views: 27
He has the slate feet as he should, but he has a lot of yellowish feathers that I'm not sure he should. He came from Murray McMurray. I planned to breed him to FBCM hen, splash marans hens for blue copper marans, and to whiting true blue and cream Legbar hens for olive eggers.
He is beautiful! :love

Here's a link to a place that sells them that has photos. I do not know why you couldn't, but if you are looking into breeding pure breeds of any kind, I'd get them from a breeder rather than a hatchery. Otherwise, he sure looks like he'd make some awesome offspring!

Good luck!

Straw colored feathers.. You're right.. he's not perfect for breeding to the standard.. But sometimes you start with what you've got.. and for crossing over the other hens is completely irrelevant.

Please note that crossing a Splash Marans is not the same as splash copper and will not likely give you full blue copper results. I made this mistake back in my Marans days and it's a very common one I still see today.

Happy adventures! :wee

Straw colored feathers.. You're right.. he's not perfect for breeding to the standard.. But sometimes you start with what you've got.. and for crossing over the other hens is completely irrelevant.

Please note that crossing a Splash Marans is not the same as splash copper and will not likely give you full blue copper results. I made this mistake back in my Marans days and it's a very common one I still see today.

Happy adventures! :wee
What does it give you? I’ve been trying to figure that out lol. But I thought I had read it would give all blue coppers.

What does it give you? I’ve been trying to figure that out lol. But I thought I had read it would give all blue coppers.
It'll give you some sort of blue results.. maybe blue with copper leakage (similar but not the same). But blue and blue copper are separate color patterns and as such splash and splash copper would play out the same.. still with the copper or not.. See if this thread gives you a better answer than what I've offered.. Post #4..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/blue-copper-marans-with-blue-hackles.1620554/#post-27682231

ETA: is your splash a copper splash or just splash?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom