Wowwwww!... still can't believe it!

midwestmilkmaiden

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
So...
I went to the local Auction Barn today and was helping a friend pick out his first chickens.
A man came up to me and my 2 young daughters and he asked if we were buying rabbits today.. "nope!!" I said.. " sure not, don't have any interest in getting rabbits". So he lectured me on how all little girls need a bunny.. and then I went on my way..

A few minutes later he caught up to me and asked sincerely if he could buy my girls each a bunny for easter.. I told him thank you... but really, I don't need any rabbits.. and I have 2 dogs and a cat that would wait for the first chance to get ahold of it.. so , thank you, but NO!

10 minutes later he put a bunny in each of my daughters arms!!!!!!!!! my daughters are 4 and 7.. you know what that means.. awwwwww, they're sooo cuuuuuute!

th.gif

So, I'm home now.. with 2 little bunnies that I had no intention of getting.. still in complete shock that he did this!!!!!
tongue.gif

I mean.. what could I do.. with my daughters looking at me.. me looking at them.. thinking in my head.. " what the !%*!%#! is going on!??"

hmmmm.... now what to do????

hit.gif

Tractor Supply has some great cage kits - they're good quality all-wire cages and you use clips to assemble them, then you can hang them outside or you could buy a litter pan if you want to keep them inside. (I always keep my rabbits outside because their urine stinks. ) In fact, I have several cages hanging in the chicken coop. The chickens keep the rabbit poo stirred up and composted with the chicken litter, the chickens clean up any spilled feed, and I set a nestbox on top the cage for the chickens to lay in.

Maybe you should've thanked him so much for buying you the main course for dinner tomorrow night.
gig.gif

WOW. I honestly do not know whether to say how sweet of him or focus on how over the line he was to do that. Sounds like his intentions were good...But with you saying no he really should not have put you on the spot like that with your girls. But it clearly was not like he did it to gain anything since he bought them and was not asking you to.

I have to go with VERY sweet but a little misguided.

I LOVE the idea about the 6 kittens!
tongue.png

Quote:
Sounds to me like a Grandpa with no grandkids yet...

Or a rabbit breeder who was told NOT to come home unless he got rid of all the #@$%&*$# baby bunnies.
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
I've gotten much better at saying "NO" over the years. The girls will wail for a little while, but it's ever so much better than an animal I'm not ready to keep and did not want in the first place. We've got an aquarium at the house that needs cleaning again (guess who has to do that) which contains the goldfish my daughter won at the fair five years ago. Do you know how long goldfish can live? I'll still have it when she goes to college! It has become a life lesson in responsibility. For her or me, I'm not certain which.

Now the little Silkie chick someone gave the Kinder Major last weekend does not fall into that category. It's actually going to serve a useful purpose of keeping one of her cockbirds company when we separate him out so the other rooster can breed the pullets. But those kinds of freeby 'it's so cute!' animals are usually not so worthwhile.

.....Alan.

Yes... my girls are aware that this may be a temporary home for these bunnies...

but now is the time when I also need to have a little chat with myself!!!.. they are so stinkin' cute.. they look at me with those little eyes and then they do the
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
!!

we shall see...

for now my girls are just thankful that we will not be eating them for dinner!

Back
Top Bottom