Wrinkled egg

kmwright

Songster
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
Winters, CA
Is this normal? I picked this egg up today, it's from my red sexlink that laid the "torpedo" egg the other day. It's wrinkled at the top and has this dark brown spot on the bottom. My hens get plenty of calcium in the form of yogurt and oyster shells.

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

This is the long egg she laid the other day. All of hers have been double yolks lately.

IMG_0910.jpg

I haven't seen that before, but then I am relatively new. My 4 hens lay all sorts of shapes, color and textured eggs and they are all BOs. Once I had an egg that was like paper and it just disintegrated at my touch. I let them eat it.

I have had those exact looking eggs from my red sex link hens.They have also laid thin shelled eggs.One time during illness there was a shell-less egg!

I get those from time to time and I wish I'd have taken a picture of the odd one I got this week. Very wrinkled and lop-sided egg that was kind of squared off at the top. I think that just because there's calcium available in several places for my hens, they don't always eat it, or eat enough of it. I may start putting some in my feed bowls.

Just happens! Egg farms reject any that might "Look" un-perfect, so thats why we never see them in the store, what a waste. Well, I'm sure they are sold to other factories for animal food but still, there's nothing wrong with them, just look different...

Our White Leghorn is the one who lays "odd" eggs the most. Lots of wrinkled ones like in your post, and just today, a torpedo-shaped (very thin, but long egg). Maybe I can take pictures, and edit this post to show them, later on (when my cell phone's working again).

Back
Top Bottom