Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

Thank you, Lacrystol. You just gave me hope.
smile.png
When you say "recovery is on the way", how long does recovery actually take? I've been reading and it sounds like some people have done this vitamin routine for 4 months or longer. Has that been your experience as well? Have all of your chicks who you've treated recovered? I'd hate to be putting her though all this stress if I'm just prolonging the inevitable.

My chick can hold her head up without a problem but she can't control it well when she wants to peck something so her aim is horribly off. This is one reason I was confused for the first few days of symptoms on whether it was actually wry neck she had or something else. She can drink by herself (since I put in a regular waterer, she started missing her mark on the nipple waterer which is how I discovered she was having issues). She's apparently getting some food because I have seen her poop but she stands by the food and flings her beak around in it for long stretches at a time. I guess she's adapting. She's super skinny, though. I'll try the hand feeding again, it can't hurt.

I've noticed a bit of improvement since yesterday afternoon... she's now sometimes extending her neck. You know how when a chick is curious they'll stand really tall, stretch their neck out and look intently at you? She hasn't been doing that since her symptoms started but I saw her do it several times yesterday. It's almost like she had lost her ability to extend and contract her neck so her beak would only move in an arc.

Thank you for saying that about patience... that helps a lot. I hope her "BOOM" is soon.
fl.gif

5Leepy!

I hatched some quail that had wry neck. I sperated the two with wry neck & gave them chick saver in their water & sure enough a few days later they got better & I put them back with the others. Hope yours recover.

Well, I'm happy to say that little Jackie did a u-turn yesterday and is on the road to recovery. Hopefully she'll recover in full quickly. Does anyone know if you just stop the vitamins when they're 100% or should I continue for a while afterwards?

Thanks for those that helped and offered support.

5Leepy!

THAT IS GREAT NEWS, I know with mine, once I seen the ROAD to RECOVERY, it was such a great feeling. I have a hen that I'm experiencing wry neck right now, so far it's been a week and no improvements. Of course I exspect her to get worst before better. Once you start to see your chick improve then you can start cutting back, don't just stop everything. 4 Months is not necessary, I would keep her on the vitamins but each week cut back. let's say your doing two drops 3 times a day, cut back to twice a day the next week once a day then one drop a day for a couple of days. Because I have heard although I have not experienced it yet, if you stop now it could return.. I would also cut back on the Vitamin E, if you are doing a full capsule then cut it in half, the next week stop... You could probably get away with stopping the Vitamin E right now but just to be on the safe side give her it for at least another week just give her less. Yes, my chicks that has had wry neck has fully recovered.. You just have to be careful when sending them outside with other's to make sure the others don't start pecking at her, because they could cause it to come back.. But keeping them separated for at least 3 weeks until the other get to know them would be great but you don't have to worry about that right now because your dealing with a baby.

Try adding water to her food to soften it up, I do this to my chicks and you would think I gave them CANDY, at first they look at it like "what the heck, do you really want us to eat that mush, Lady"., then when they try it, they are like "You really don't exspect us to eat that Hard Crap do you, we want the soft stuff". they will go crazy, which I could never figure that out because it's the SAME FOOD.. ha haha But try soften her food up and put it by her beak so when she pecks she'll get a taste of it and see if she goes to town on it....

SOOO SOOO glad she's doing better, that is great news..... Now lets get some weight on her and she'll be a chick again.... ONE GOOD NEWS, the other one won't be alone.....

Thank you, Lacrystol.... your tip about the moist food is helping her put the weight back on!!!! These chicks LOVE that!

Hi i am new to this site so hope im doing this right lol!
I have an 11 week old silkie i got her about 2 weeks ago. Her head has always been a bit wobbly but i just thought it was cuz she was young as she was my first silkie. Soon enough tho i knew she had a problem her head would twist funny and she always had it slightly angled to 1 side. i am pretty sure it is wry neck from all the info i have seen online.
should i cut down the dose you mentioned as she is not fully grown?
i have to option of taking her back where i got her but i think they would just ring her neck :/ i feel like i should take her back but if there is a chance i could get her better i would.

We came home and noticed our quail laying on its side. It's neck almost appears broken or completely twisted. It can't stand up. It just keeps kicking and trying to get up but can't.

The quail are about 6 weeks old. We don't know if it flew up and injured itself or some other condition. Although they are in a plastic container with a mesh top so i am thinking that it is unlikely. It was always way smaller than the rest. We've been reading about merecks or wry. Not sure if that is common in coturnix quail or what could be the cause.
We were able to give it water with a dropper but it is hard for him to eat.

Not sure what to do or how to help him as we are quail newbies.

I too am going through this right now, and I was confused by all the dosage differences in the posts I found. It is an awful thing to watch, but there is hope. Lacrystol: thank you for the information!!

Last edited:
Not great but better, I think. We thought she had broken a leg or something, but all the bones were fine, so we assumed she was just sore and left her alone. The next day she seemed to be unable to control her neck, almost like Parkinson's or something. She would keep her head down on her chest and just move it side to side. I started her on the vitamins (polyvisol, vit E, and selenium) and now she is gaining more control of her neck, but still having balancing issues. She seems to be struggling when standing and it's almost like it hurts her to stand completely upright, and when she does she almost always falls over sideways, to the front or to the back. She is my summer-salting chick. lol. But she is eating and drinking fine and seems to be happy. Just frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom