Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

Pics

5Leepy!

Chirping
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Austin, TX
I posted before about my chick (she was 10 days old then) who had no energy and was sleeping a lot. I didn't really get many responses. Since then, she started to have weakness in her neck and her head started to roll to one side. She could barely eat or drink, she was so weak. My DH went to the feed store and the old-timers there felt it was a respiratory infection and suggested tetracycline hydrochloride, which we've been adding to their water every since. She was making improvements in her head not rolling so much and her energy increasing (less sleeping) until this afternoon. Now she seems kind of lopsided when she walks around and seems to have lost her depth perception. When I put my hand to one side of her she seems to not see it until it is very close to her but on the other side she sees my hand right away (reacts by running away). Her head seems to be rolling to the side again and I noticed when she was sleeping her head bobbing up and down as if she was pecking at something. This behavior when she's sleeping seemed to stop and start but almost in a pattern, as if it might be neurological.

I'm very worried about her... we've been babying her for quite a while. She is only with one other chick who is doing fantastic. She seemed to be in perfect health the day we brought her home (1 day old) and for the first week of her life. Any ideas or help would be great.

5Leepy!

Last edited:
I have had my dealings with Wry Neck, it's a horrible sight to see them go through but I must advise you, they get worst before they get better. Here's how I treat them, First 1 full vitamin E, I usually give this at night. I usually try to put it directly on there beaks and let them drink it. It takes a long time to get the whole thing down because they don't care much for it, but you have to keep working with them. Then I give them 2 drops of Polyvisol without iron. make sure they drink it, which they usually do because my chickens for some reason LOVES the Polyvisol. I will give them this in the morning and at night. Since I work during the day it's hard to give them it for a third time but if you can give the polyvisol 3 times a day at 2 drops each shot that would be great... Some of my chickens that have had wry neck, will recover quickly, but I have had some that would get worst and worst each day to the point of "this chicken is not going to recover". then after about the 5th day sometimes longer. BOOM they start to hold there head up and recovery is on the way. It's very frustrated and heart breaking because you think what else I can I do. But if you stick with it, perhaps they will get on the road to recovery...

To get them to eat, I would take there food soak it with water until it's completely liquidfied. Then you can take a dropper and feed them that way. I would do this until "recovery" has occurred or they start to eat on there own. By soaking there food and giving it to them with a dropper not only do they get some food but also water. Just do drop by drop... Patients is a Priority because it does take a while before they improve.. Hope this help, good luck, please keep us updated...

The decision wasn't made because his wry neck was not better, by the way. I expected that to take weeks at least. The decision was made because his overall condition was so poor and he was suffering.
Some of the above comments are out of line,my condolences on having to make this very difficult decision. When we decide to end the suffering of our pets it is b/c we love them,not b/c we cannot be bothered to continue treatment.if he was suffering,you have made the right decision and no one has the right to say otherwise,shame on them. Until you have "walked in someone else's shoes"do not criticize them for the decisions they have made.

Last edited:
THAT IS GREAT NEWS, I know with mine, once I seen the ROAD to RECOVERY, it was such a great feeling. I have a hen that I'm experiencing wry neck right now, so far it's been a week and no improvements. Of course I exspect her to get worst before better. Once you start to see your chick improve then you can start cutting back, don't just stop everything. 4 Months is not necessary, I would keep her on the vitamins but each week cut back. let's say your doing two drops 3 times a day, cut back to twice a day the next week once a day then one drop a day for a couple of days. Because I have heard although I have not experienced it yet, if you stop now it could return.. I would also cut back on the Vitamin E, if you are doing a full capsule then cut it in half, the next week stop... You could probably get away with stopping the Vitamin E right now but just to be on the safe side give her it for at least another week just give her less. Yes, my chicks that has had wry neck has fully recovered.. You just have to be careful when sending them outside with other's to make sure the others don't start pecking at her, because they could cause it to come back.. But keeping them separated for at least 3 weeks until the other get to know them would be great but you don't have to worry about that right now because your dealing with a baby.

Try adding water to her food to soften it up, I do this to my chicks and you would think I gave them CANDY, at first they look at it like "what the heck, do you really want us to eat that mush, Lady"., then when they try it, they are like "You really don't exspect us to eat that Hard Crap do you, we want the soft stuff". they will go crazy, which I could never figure that out because it's the SAME FOOD.. ha haha But try soften her food up and put it by her beak so when she pecks she'll get a taste of it and see if she goes to town on it....

SOOO SOOO glad she's doing better, that is great news..... Now lets get some weight on her and she'll be a chick again.... ONE GOOD NEWS, the other one won't be alone.....

I tried putting her back in with the other chickens but they pecked at her pretty badly, and since she is still a bit wobbly I am thinking it best to let her get stronger before putting her back in with them. But no - she is not a silkie, she is a Black Jersey Giant - from what I have read it says they are genetically prone to the mineral deficiency that causes/contributes to wry neck.
OH GOD No, don't put her in with others. she's the weakest link right now and with them pecking at her head, SHOOTS, you are causing it to come back. OMG, NOOOO she can't go with the others yet. PLUS you can't just throw her in with the others, you have to separate her let the others see her but can't get to her. OMG!!!!! Well hopefully they didn't do a whole lot of damage to where you are going to need to start all over.. Good Lord, she should have never been placed back with others, like I said she needs to FULLY recover and Fully recover is when she is completely OFF the treatment and again even after that happens, you don't put her in with the others, you MUST gradually re--introduce them to her. Otherwise, you will continue to have this problem. OH BOY, I surely hope they didn't do to much damage to where you need to start over. I don't understand why you would think about putting her in with the others when her treatment isn't completed??

Aww thank you Fancychooklady that means a lot to me :)
I honestly did not think Licorice would have made it this far. If you had seen her in the beginning you'd have thought the same. She was constantly asleep with her head facing backwards. Her beak was pointing to her tail & she needed towels wrapped around her to keep her upright. I was drip feeding her by syringe and she was ever so boney... I kept giving her 2 more weeks and ill reassess lol... Well 12 weeks on and all I can say is WOW... She may not be out of the woods just yet, but walking even if in circles is HUGE!!! She preens, scratches herself and eats like a trooper... I will continue to nurse her until.............
Thank you again, as you can feel very alone treating a chicken day in day out and really do wonder what others would do if it was their girl- maybe I'm travelling a journey that won't have a happy ending but maybe it will?? I won't give up and will continue to pray & enjoy Licorice even the way she is :)

Thank you!!
Well her crop is emptying normally again, and she has stopped vomiting :) I still wonder if her neck is twisting the WRONG way- not sure if she would pull it the wrong way but that's what it looks like. When she shakes her head trying to get it right she tilts and pulls it to the side and back towards her tail. Hopefully I'm wrong and it is just taking time to shift lol- over 4 months now this journey as been going. I must be doing something right as my girl is sill ALIVE- omg that still amazes me. I must admit I do think sometimes if by treating and feeding and persevering has been the right thing to do. ( I still don't know this answer) but I promised Licorice at the beginning if her illness I would do whatever I could to help her.. And I haven't given up... She is a different chicken to what she was those first few months although she isn't back to normal just yet.. She has stolen my heart and has tried her hardest I'm sure to beat this.. She has gone up & down and has let me push pills down her throat, force feed her via syringe, bath & dry her ( hair dryer) massage her ALL over, stretch her neck and make her hold it LOL ( a bit like physio) and she hasn't complained once. Oh and she even wore a horrid haircut for a long while... ( hehe) she is covered in new feather and let's me help shed the skin off them as she can't.. She has had every vitamin known to man and has had many different foods fed o her, eating every bit regardless.. She is now on bird formula only, and seems to not like it much, but eats the lot.. Since feeding this she hasn't vomited as much and it seems to have helped with her crop emptying by morning. She is no longer on ANY medication , just the formula..
I still pray every night she will recover eventually and I'll keep assisting her in any way necessary..
I love her to bits and although she may never be fully recovered she will never be put to sleep.
As LONG as she is willing to live- I will help her...

But gee whizz- 18,weeks is a long time to be hand feeding a hen daily & looking after her. lol xx

Back
Top Bottom