Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

Pics
Lori if you tap on the pic it should enlarge enough for you to read- it stated a prednisone treatment plan for 15 days.
smile.png

I have a personal treatment plan given to me from Alan Stanford.. So ill follow and see how we go
smile.png
OK well good luck...

Hi-after reviewing everyone's posts about this wry neck business, I am convinced that is what's wrong with my 3.5 week old silkie chick. He seems pretty dizzy or confused, off balance and twisting his nexk oddly. He is able to eat and drink. He is able to move around and scratch. My husband thinks he should be culled, especially since we have 30 chicks arriving next week. This chick is pretty darn cute, but I am hoping to breed next year and do not want this chick for breeding stock.

Thoughts on culling this chick or trying to save it? If we are going to cull, is there a best method for this?

Many thanks
Amy

Hi-after reviewing everyone's posts about this wry neck business, I am convinced that is what's wrong with my 3.5 week old silkie chick. He seems pretty dizzy or confused, off balance and twisting his nexk oddly. He is able to eat and drink. He is able to move around and scratch. My husband thinks he should be culled, especially since we have 30 chicks arriving next week. This chick is pretty darn cute, but I am hoping to breed next year and do not want this chick for breeding stock.

Thoughts on culling this chick or trying to save it? If we are going to cull, is there a best method for this?

Many thanks
Amy
Well I personally would never cull a chick if I can save it but of course, if you don't have the time or effort to put into helping it recover then I would say culling is your best option. Can they fully recover, of COURSE, but it will not happen overnight, in fact, with wry neck they ALWAYS get worst before they get better, it's just a matter of patients, time and effort..

Hey there, little Licorice is plodding along. She is still walking in circles mainly but did take 2 steps FORWARD the other day. So I was very very happy. Also only last night I offered her some dry chicken crumble and she ATE it!! Omg I was soo pleased. This is the first time she has even tried it since she has been unwell.
On a sadder note her crop still isn't emptying by morning and she had a a vomit today :( first for a week now. I have been given her probiotic for the natural gut flora, and I'm only feeding her very small amounts at a time.
I'm pleased to say she is full of life and apart from her crook neck she looks awesome. She is aiming weight slowly but still won't eat on her own. She uses her whole body to move forward to her food and not her neck. But she can't seem to lean to peak off the ground. So I'm still holding the bowl up to her beak..
My baby is a fighter and she even clucks when she sees me now- we definitely have bonded during this journey..

Thank you for being concerned about her...... But unfortunately our journey continues ..

Aww thank you Fancychooklady that means a lot to me :)
I honestly did not think Licorice would have made it this far. If you had seen her in the beginning you'd have thought the same. She was constantly asleep with her head facing backwards. Her beak was pointing to her tail & she needed towels wrapped around her to keep her upright. I was drip feeding her by syringe and she was ever so boney... I kept giving her 2 more weeks and ill reassess lol... Well 12 weeks on and all I can say is WOW... She may not be out of the woods just yet, but walking even if in circles is HUGE!!! She preens, scratches herself and eats like a trooper... I will continue to nurse her until.............
Thank you again, as you can feel very alone treating a chicken day in day out and really do wonder what others would do if it was their girl- maybe I'm travelling a journey that won't have a happy ending but maybe it will?? I won't give up and will continue to pray & enjoy Licorice even the way she is :)

Most people would have Culled her, sad as it sounds but definitely there only choice. Not only is your Hen a fighter but so are you!! I don't think anyone would take the time as much time as you have to work with there chickens. In most cases, they would have culled and replaced it to ease the pain.

You and HER need a Pat on the BACK because she's not giving up and neither are you. I'm sure there are days that you want to but instead turned it around and continued your efforts in trying to heal her. AND FOR THAT YOU DESERVE AN AWARD....

You and her Battle has been extremely long and I'm sure very tiring, but the process is coming around..

I'm still waiting for the day you tell me she LAYED an egg. I probably won't eat it though to much medication in her system. LOL but I would blow it out, decorate it and keep it forever.. LOL

Back
Top Bottom