Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

Yeah, he was able to sometimes hold his neck up. But things changed Tuesday and then again Wednesday, with him sleeping a lot. And although he was eating, he was probably not eating enough. I had difficulty in the end getting him to wake up to eat. I finally realized I needed to euthanize him yesterday afternoon. At least I know he knew love before he died. He spent several days in comfort...

OMG, well not my choice but sorry for your lost..
OMG, not something I would have said to someone who had to make a very difficult decision.

Look, I have done special needs dog and cat rescue for nearly 15 years and my non-profit actually takes the worst of the worst - those that most "no-kills" would even put down. I do not give up UNLESS I see suffering with little to no hope.

I am not a chicken expert, but I read everything I could find on his condition and consulted vets. I treated him as best I could. And I believe I made the right decision for HIM. For my part, I wanted to save him. However, I realized at some point that I was only prolonging his suffering. Sometimes you come to that point where you have to make an unselfish decision, even if it makes you weep.

OMG, not something I would have said to someone who had to make a very difficult decision.

Look, I have done special needs dog and cat rescue for nearly 15 years and my non-profit actually takes the worst of the worst - those that most "no-kills" would even put down. I do not give up UNLESS I see suffering with little to no hope.

I am not a chicken expert, but I read everything I could find on his condition and consulted vets. I treated him as best I could. And I believe I made the right decision for HIM. For my part, I wanted to save him. However, I realized at some point that I was only prolonging his suffering. Sometimes you come to that point where you have to make an unselfish decision, even if it makes you weep.
Sorry you feel different but I don't think you really gave him much time, I mean three days maybe four of vitamin treatment?

Poor Debrastar1204 has been dealing with her issue for MONTHS and MONTHS at a time. She and her hen are still fighting for survival. Why because she kept at it and her nor her hen are willing to call it quits and I think that is GREAT.

FIVE STARS FOR THEM...

You said he's been like this for 2 1/2 weeks WITHOUT treatment, well going that long he wasn't going to recover over night..

When it comes down to it, you try one treatment if that doesn't work, you try something else until you find what DOES work, Exspecially if you have NO clue what it is in the first place.. Sometimes it ends to late to get to that point and sometimes it ends with great results. You don't know until you at least give it a chance.

Anyone who has had dealings with Wry Neck will tell you it TAKES time sometimes even months for them to fully recover. I know personally myself, I have had one take 2 weeks. Not eating or nothing had to tube feed her until one day BOOM. it was like she was in a coma and just SNAPPED OUT it, so it does take time..

Mamakat you have a heart of gold
1f49b.png
and the world is. Better place , with you in it.

It's NOT saving the WORLD or OUT OF LINE comments, it's an Opinion!! Personally I would have handle it differently, while others do not.

I respect any decisions as much as I would expect you to respect my decisions..

I will give my opinion whether you agree to it or not because I have my way and you have your way..

Do I dis you for it. NO, it's your decision of what you do, do I understand in some cases yes. I may not agree with your decision but wouldn't criticize you for it..
I'm sorry,but your comments were out of line,Mamakat74 did what she felt was in the best interests of her suffering pet. We are here to help and support each other,not to question whether one tried hard enough to save their pet. A little compassion and sensitivity is called for in cases like this,not criticizing for decisions made. Mamakat74 is very upset having to put down her pet,please show emotional support.

I'm so sorry to read others gave been battling with chicken sickness. My girl Licorice Is Doing GREAT!!!!! She is my superstar. Wow still going after 9 months. She too couldn't stay awake at the beginning. I use to feed her with a syringe several times a day.. She was lifeless, couldn't eat, couldn't stand, couldn't move... Time patience and lots of care.
I do understand how some people don't want to put in this time - it's a huge commitment. And I honestly didn't know it would turn out like this when I first started treating Licorice. She has special needs now, but is up moving around, eating ( Gand fed daily) preening and enjoying the sunshine. I don't think she will improve anymore now- but she sure has a will to live so maybe she'll surprise he once more yet.

Thank you , your advice and support meant so much to me, as I really had no clue how to help Licorice at first. She sure was a fighter!
But yes, I am at peace with my decision as I know I did my absolute best for her. Amazing girl she was. She deserved all the effort I gave her.And she also deserved to be free.
You were an enormous support for me and I " Thank You so very much"
I honestly felt so very alone at first, trying everything I could to help her. I must have done something right as she survived many months on my care.
I want to thank everyone on this thread whom offered support or advice for myself and Licorice. This group really is awesome and it ment a lot to me to pop in here and be able to ask for advice. Your support truly touched me.
Licorice and I are both very grateful.
And she is free now, being a chicken again.
Xxxxx

Great news!! My baby chick is doing so much better. She is now standing on her own, walking and drinking. She still walks in circles when she walks and keeps her head bent slightly. Sometimes she loses her balance and catches herself with her wing. Her rattling sound when she breathes has ceased completely and she is pooping like crazy. Her poops are pretty liquid but she did go almost 24 hours on a liquid diet so that is to be expected. She is making great strides. If she keeps going like this, I am hoping for a full improvement in 2-3 days and maybe a reintroduction to her sisters. She is significantly smaller than they are now (its amazing how quickly they grow in just a few days).

I am keeping her on the vitamin water and save a chick combos and have started reintroducing solid chick starter feed soggy with vitamin water. To those who are struggling with this now, keep your chin up. If you are vigilant in the treatment they can pull through. I swear this poor babe looked like she was a gonner 24 hours ago. Completely unable to walk or stand. Now, she is making good strides. To those that have lost their poor little chicks, I am truly sorry.

Based on the symptoms, I feel pretty confident saying wry neck (ducking head back, walking in circles, head cocked to one side "stargazing", unable to eat/drink, and no other chicks showing any symptoms. She was the smallest of the six, so I am thinking one of two things happened: either she was being prevented from eating/drinking by her bigger flock mates or she came to me Saturday with a problem already developing.

Good luck to anyone trying to heal their baby from this terrible thing.

Last edited:
Great news!! My baby chick is doing so much better. She is now standing on her own, walking and drinking. She still walks in circles when she walks and keeps her head bent slightly. Sometimes she loses her balance and catches herself with her wing. Her rattling sound when she breathes has ceased completely and she is pooping like crazy. Her poops are pretty liquid but she did go almost 24 hours on a liquid diet so that is to be expected. She is making great strides. If she keeps going like this, I am hoping for a full improvement in 2-3 days and maybe a reintroduction to her sisters. She is significantly smaller than they are now (its amazing how quickly they grow in just a few days).

I am keeping her on the vitamin water and save a chick combos and have started reintroducing solid chick starter feed soggy with vitamin water. To those who are struggling with this now, keep your chin up. If you are vigilant in the treatment they can pull through. I swear this poor babe looked like she was a gonner 24 hours ago. Completely unable to walk or stand. Now, she is making good strides. To those that have lost their poor little chicks, I am truly sorry.

Based on the symptoms, I feel pretty confident saying wry neck (ducking head back, walking in circles, head cocked to one side "stargazing", unable to eat/drink, and no other chicks showing any symptoms. She was the smallest of the six, so I am thinking one of two things happened: either she was being prevented from eating/drinking by her bigger flock mates or she came to me Saturday with a problem already developing.

Good luck to anyone trying to heal their baby from this terrible thing.

Great news! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom